Blog Comments

Good luck, Farnoosh! It does sound really discouraging-and I have to question why they make it so difficult. Is it because they fear that too many people would apply? It's school, after all, a place you go, supposedly to learn things. It shouldn't be a herculean task!

I agree with Nikolai-I hope you get some time to relax. It is really needed after all your exertions to graduate.

And-jcongratulations!
    Not at all! that's really impressive. . . I hope you do get plenty of time to de-pressurize :-)

Unfoundable isn't a word, but unfoundedly actually is. . and unfounded. But I understood your meaning of course and. . new words can always be created, if enough people use them.

Hang in there! and best of luck on your finals, although I know you don't need it
    How true I found this poem to be
    That those called to duty
    Should respond with bloodless action
    That men of all age, race and sex
    Will interact with no suspicion
    Peace, peace, peace we all call
    Even cry, weep and wail for
    But it cannot hear nor answer us
    Peace by nature hears only
    The voice of justice even when still
    It is only peace at home called by justice
    That will make the peace we export
    To other land pure and worth awhile
    As those duty demands
    Respond with bloodless action
    Updated 11-30-2014 at 09:08 PM by Chrislyne
    I'm so sorry Farnoosh, I'll pray for her and you and her family, and everyone touched by such a tragic loss.
    Its really sad when all you only have are just words, as an expression of your love to your loved ones.(thats all i have to say for now, may her soul rest in peace)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    I'm a mechanical engineer. Why do I think you'll be fine? Because you enjoyed your summer job. And because I've seen lots of students who were frustrated in college but did quite well once they were in the real world. You seem to fit the pattern.
    That's what I needed to hear
    Everyone is always telling me: You'll be fine, you always do great-lalalala. But I need insurance- knowing that you've seen others like me (sort of) do fine after this, makes me believe, maybe it will all be okay. Thank you Virgil
    I'm a mechanical engineer. Why do I think you'll be fine? Because you enjoyed your summer job. And because I've seen lots of students who were frustrated in college but did quite well once they were in the real world. You seem to fit the pattern.
    The point is that you're oriented into an engineering mentality. And it gives you the foundation of the scientific principles on which the engineering is based. You'll be a fine engineer, I can tell.
    Why do you think that? Im not so sure I've got what it takes.
    industrial research is more practical than scientific research which is more theoretical. If only there was a solid method for relating the two together rather than actually separating them from each other. what is your job Virgil? If you dont mind me asking
    Quote Originally Posted by farnoosh
    I agree. I took an internship in a petrochemical company last summer and the things they were teaching us weren't in any of our text books. It's like the industrial research differs from the research being done in universities, makes you wonder then what is the point of studying text book for 4 years? Anywayy.....
    The point is that you're oriented into an engineering mentality. And it gives you the foundation of the scientific principles on which the engineering is based. You'll be a fine engineer, I can tell.
    I know what you mean

Glad I could share it.. Yesterday I realized my digital lib. was missing any and all his works, so I downloaded them... which reminds me, the other day, I got the name and site wrong, it's actually gutenberg.org
    Updated 10-25-2014 at 12:35 PM by NikolaiI
    When I look back on my engineering classes, I wonder how I made it through college. Process control analysis - yuk! But study and do well, and get that engineering degree. Actual engineering work is a lot more fun and interesting than engineering school.
    I agree. I took an internship in a petrochemical company last summer and the things they were teaching us weren't in any of our text books. It's like the industrial research differs from the research being done in universities, makes you wonder then what is the point of studying text book for 4 years? Anywayy.....
    When I look back on my engineering classes, I wonder how I made it through college. Process control analysis - yuk! But study and do well, and get that engineering degree. Actual engineering work is a lot more fun and interesting than engineering school.
    I Loved this! So beautiful and powerful. - Lost for words at the moment...
    You're welcome Blake is definitely my favorite; I think I'd just say Blake and Goethe are tied for it
    So it wouldn't let me post it earlier, but this came to mind right after I read your post

"The Fly," by William Blake

Little fly,
    Thy summer’s play
    My thoughtless hand
    Has brushed away.

Am not I
    A fly like thee?
    Or art not thou
    A man like me?

For I dance
    And drink and sing,
    Till some blind hand
    Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
    And strength and breath,
    And the want
    Of thought is death,

Then am I
    A happy fly,
    If I live,
    Or if I die.

- oh yeah, besides being such brilliant poets, Blake and Goethe also have art ability in common..

I also like some of Blake's letters and such; one was especially hiarious to me..
    Thank you NikolaiI
    I really like this poem, I haven't read anything from Goethe or Shelley yet though... *writing them down on my reading list*
    Your tastes are impeccable
    Blake is quite dear, and right up there with Goethe and Shelley in measure of brilliant poets
    Hi Farnoosh. Nice to see you again. What a nice picture that is of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt
    Congrats Farnoosh! Don't get too sensible, because in a few years......Things Wont Make Sense

Tony Walton
    Thanks Tony! Were you planning on actually discouraging me?
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    Wow, Farnoosh, it's good to hear from you. Graduating from college is a real milestone. I'm sure you will rise to the occasion of carving out a career for yourself. I was always the opposite about work. I did not want to volunteer my services, but I worked for years in an inner city school with kids who are considered underprivileged. I loved it! I hope you find something to do that you love, too.

Anna Karenina is one of my favorite novels, too.
    Hello there old friend!! I want to come on here and check on you guys but everytime I do I feel guilty; mainly because this is a literature site and I haven't been able to read anything or more accurate to say, complete anything in a really long time. There are a lot of new members here! what happened to everyone??
    I used to think finishing college would be a milestone too, and I guess it sort of is. but now what?! I'm thinking of continuing my studies on graduate levels over seas, possibly Canada. *crossing fingers*
    If you like we can keep in touch on Facebook, quimissung.
    Congrats Farnoosh! Don't get too sensible, because in a few years......Things Wont Make Sense

Tony Walton
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast