View RSS Feed

My Literary Journey

1. George Babbitt, C'est Moi

I'm lagging behind in my book reviews. On my ongoing quest to read and hopefully understand the American novel of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, I'm running into authors that I need to circle around and pick up on the other side of my objective - USA by John Dos Passos. I'm finding authors that intrigue me and I want to read more, but if I dwell on them too much, I'll bog down and never get to USA. Sinclair Lewis is one of those authors.

I read Main Street and Babbitt. ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:24 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
  2. Greetings from Gopher Prairie

Just finished Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. Loved it. It's an interesting view into small town life. Carol Milford, a college graduate from Minneapolis, marries a physician from Gopher Prairie and moves to the town with the intent of reforming it with the arts and some modern ideas. She quickly becomes disillusioned by the extent of the satisfaction that the town folk are comfortable with their town and their lives in it. What results is an almost constant conflict between Carol and the 'way ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:25 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
  3. Hey Sister, Go Sister

I just finished Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreisser. This is one of those books that I just don't know how to react to it. I enjoyed it and I was truly interested in the ultimate disposition of the characters, but there are several aspects of the novel that intrigue me.

First, the title. There are essentially only three characters in the book -- Charles Druet, George Hurstwood, and Carrie. The story, like so many of the novels of this period, is about money and class structure. ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:26 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
  4. Old King Coal

A month or so ago, my daughter, her boyfriend and I were in a used book store. He picked up a copy of The Jungle and stated he wanted to read it. I told him that he probably should but I didn't care for it...for reasons that I've already posted to this blog. A week ago, we went camping and my daughter's boyfriend saw my copy of King Coal by Upton Sinclair lying about and he said, "I thought you hated Sinclair."

"No, I don't. I said I didn't care for The Jungle. ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:27 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
  5. Welcome to The Jungle

Some folks find it surprising that I didn't enjoy The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. In one forum, I was accused of not understanding naturalism. That's not the problem. And I'm not going to argue the difference between naturalism and good old muckraking. My issue with the novel was with Sinclair's writing. By the end of the book I was just sick of it and wanted it to be over. Here's the $5 analogy.

I'm a married man. Like a good husband I have watched movies with my beloved that ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast