View RSS Feed

My Literary Journey

1. Dos Passos - I

Not quite done with the trilogy. I'm about a quarter of the way through the last book. It's been very hectic at work and I haven't much time to read or blog. I'll eventually have a longer blog on the interesting construct of this novel, but first I want to revisit the 600 pound gorilla.

I blogged a while back about how sex lurked in the periphery. You knew it had a role in the story, but it was never explicit or really discussed. It's just there. This struck me the most in reading ...
    Categories
    My Literary Journey
  2. Bookstore Angst

I know I'm not the first to express or confess this particular weakness, but I seem to have a real problem staying out of new and used book stores. Even worse, I can't seem to walk out empty handed. I want to start with the used book stores. Near where I live there are 3 used book stores, Mike's, Edward's, and Steve's.

Mike's is a fledgling storefront, clean and neat. It only has a little over one book case of "literature". I stop in from time to time, but rarely do ...
    Categories
    My Literary Journey
  3. Goooooooooooooooooooooooa l!!

About 18 months ago, I set a goal for myself as part of a kind of mid-life crisis. Having been reading novels from all over the map classics to mysteries to the occasional fantasy to Bernard Cornwell, I decided I was going to focus on a period of time in American literature. I thought about what I knew about American novelists and I found a gap between Mark Twain and the big 3, Hemingway, Steinbeck, and Faulkner. I completely forgot Fitzgerald and some others. For some unexplained reason, I ...
    Categories
    My Literary Journey
  4. The Gorilla Sequel

I'm beginning to love F. S. Fitzgerald. He acknowledges the gorilla and oh so subtly points in his direction. The evidence from The Beautiful and Damned:
    "One night while her head lay upon his heart and their cigarettes glowed in swerving buttons of light through the dome of darkness over the bed, she spoke for the first time and fragmentarily of the men who had hung brief moments on her beauty."
    OOK, OOK, big fella. I love that. Only white space precedes it and conversation ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:23 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
  5. The Six Hundred Pound Gorilla

I debated whether to make this thought a blog entry or try to start a discussion thread. My discussion threads wither and die quickly so I guess I'll discuss it here.
    Today, in any entertainment media you select, we are under a barrage of sexual images. Sex predominates. Sex sells. No matter the outlet -- stage or screen (big or small), painting or sculpture, novels or poetry. Sex is woven throughout our modern culture and to an extent we have the glorious 1960's to credit for it. ...

Updated 12-07-2008 at 11:22 PM by PabloQ

Categories
    My Literary Journey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast