Blog Comments

Reading your blog entry made me think of the wonderful teacher who actually got me going with my love for Literature and writing my own 'stuff'. I wish you well in your application, IP. They'd be lucky to have someone as dedicated as you. -- K♥z
    thanks motherhubbard. Now only if it was as easy as this to actually do those things to make them an integral part of my classroom... it's part of my application to the upper level education classes here at my university. right now I'm in all of the basic classes, and what I'm applying to are the Methods type classes.
    great letter. Makes me think of my great high school english teacher. is this port of an application or part of a portfolio or class?
    Well, at least you said that "the kids seemed pretty interested" -- so you must be doing something right, IP! Cheers, K♥z
    Well, I went with the Frost poem. The lesson went alright, not spectacular, but the kids seemed pretty interested. I decided against Kubla Kahn; the language and subject matter I thought just weren't age-appropriate. What I think is most in need of improvement is my ability to guide students to discuss a work.
    I was thinking of Frost, too. But I think you should just go with Kubla Kahn- It's a difficult poem, but the imagery is great and kids that age still have a good imagination. If it's understand the poem then Frost, if it's draw what you see then Coleridge. Please let us know what you went with and how it turned out.
    oh if I only had a voice like Orson Wells... unfortunately I lack that deep sonorous effect. I'm thinking something by Frost, perhaps "After Apple-Picking"
    How about a dramatic reading of Poe's The Raven?
    Very sweet, IP! My favorite verse would have to be the third.
    That's cool how one stanza gave you enough kick to keep it going. That's how much of my own poetry comes into existence. Even a single line is enough to get it going, sometimes. Cool.
    thanks guys. right on fifth, the first stanza was one I had written for a tanka thread like ours (only elsewhere) that I decided to expand on. there are a few variations, but pretty much in accordance with the tanka syllable count. this was one of the first "complete" poems I wrote, not required for a class and not just fiddling around in games.
    thanks fifth. the last lines I added recently, and basically jon and blp can be thanked for the inspiration
    Very nice, IP. Full of summer flavors, a wistful yellowy.
    "chromatic shards" - wow! I sense the movement in this poem, and the richness of the language and the colours. That last stanza is brilliant.
    Lovely poem Il Penseroso, and would I be right in thinking tanka form?
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the poem. It was written way back when for the picture poetry contest (it didn't win, damn Riesa and her harsh judging ). What I had in mind was how one's shadow is sort of an icon for one's eventual death. and jon, I would be entirely enthused if you got together a poetry e-zine and solicited my work .
    I was just searching for my John Keats poems to quote some lines to reveal how awful he reads next to yours (not always, he is, after all, John Keats) A style writ in water all your own. When I put together my poetry E-magazine I want to solicit this from you if I may.
    I read this a couple of times. Physically I think you were talking about your shadow reflected by various light sources. By way of metaphor I thought you might be wondering what your life could be/should be but for the limitations that beset us. Just wondering mind you.
    Yes, that is a really good poem Pensero. I've seen a lot of poems about one's shadow and they all tend to drift to unoriginality. This one has interesting phrasing and some profound insight.
    How well put, I loved this poem. The third verse was beautiful, my favorite stanza. In the final verse, the line
    the hollow twin grafted like a stone
    echoed in my eyes. I read this poem several times, to soak it in. Thank you, IP.