View RSS Feed

Random Ireland

Some general random stuff about Ireland , traditional music and things we say

1. strange things we say in dublin

by , 02-16-2008 at 06:30 PM (Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy)
    In Ireland we are on a bit of a league of our own when it come to english, which is why you can actually purchase hyberno-english to anglo-english dictionaries! so i decided to post a few of the expressions we use in dublin. A lot of the polish in work have a hard time figuring out what we say!
    so here it goes!
    Would you get away out of that!- Stop messing
    Your bleedin gas!- Your funny
    here will ye meet him?- basiclly asking if you want to snog/kiss some guy.

Updated 08-22-2008 at 11:54 AM by Niamh

Categories
    Random Ireland
  2. More Pointless Info

by , 12-03-2007 at 06:46 PM (Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy)
    So i'm back with some more pointless info About Ireland.

* The Normans didnt invade Ireland, they were invited over in 1168 by King Dermot MacMuragh to help him regain some of his kingdom in Leinster. As a reward he gave to the leader of the army Richard DeClare ie. Strongbow the hand of his daughter Aoife.

* Some of the streets in Dublin City centre are still the original names from the viking period. They are also in the same position and length as they were over ...

Updated 08-22-2008 at 12:05 PM by Niamh

Categories
    Random Ireland
  3. traditional song

by , 06-07-2007 at 08:34 AM (Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy)
    This is a traditional Irish song that i really loved.It is about Grace O' Malley (grainne Mhaol) the Pirate Queen of Ireland. It is sometimes classed as a rebal song because it was sung durning the 1916 rising. Some of the somg originates from the time of Elizabeth 1, which means it was sung when Grainne was alive. One of the verses, which one i'm not sure, was added by Padraig Pierce before 1916.
    I'll give you the Irish and English translation.(Public Domain)
    Hope you like it!(I'm ...

Updated 08-22-2008 at 12:10 PM by Niamh

Categories
    Random Ireland