View RSS Feed

Stlukesguild

Stlukesguild's Ramblings-

Random musings about art, poetry, music, and just about anything that pops into my mind by an incurable and unapologetic bibliophile... nay bibliomaniac.

1. Greece or Spain pt. 3

Spain, like Greece, can claim two great cultures: that of Islamic Spain, and that of the later world power of Catholic Spain of the "Golden Age".

Yehuda Halevi or Yehuda ben Shemuel Ha-Levi c. 1075-1141

Medieval Moorish Spain was one of the most fabulous cultures of all history. The Moorish culture in what is today Morocco dates back to the time of the Roman Empire (and perhaps earlier) when they acted as trading partners with Carthage, the independent city-state ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Greece or Spain pt. 2

The Louvre holds the Venus de Milo and the Winged Venus of Samothrace:

The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston contains the delicate Aphrodite of Chios, possibly by that greatest of Greek sculptors, Praxiteles:

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Greece or Spain pt. 1

On a recent thread a member admitted that he and his girlfriend were discussing a proposed European trip. She was all for visiting Spain, while he was for Greece, suggesting that Spain had very little in the way of art to offer the tourist.

I was unable to let this assertion lie... for the simple reason that my own preferences lie more with Spain than Greece.

I think either would be equally fascinating and laden with more than enough art, although I personally would ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Die Zauberflöte- René Jacobs

For anyone who loves Mozart's operas the recent series of recordings by Rene Jacobs are an absolute must. These historically informed performances bring a muscularity and a clarity to the music that is often obfuscated by performances employing large romantic-scale orchestras. Rene Jacobs' recordings have absolutely shaken up the world of Mozart's operas. Earlier operas that were once largely ignored such as La Clemenza di Titto, and Idomeneo Re de Creta are put forth which such clarity of thought ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Some Marvelous Medieval Spanish Music

I've long been fascinated with the medieval Spanish culture. Spain prior to the "Reconquista" of the whole of the peninsula from the Islamic rulers was one of the greatest cultures in the history of Europe. Their contributions to music, art, architecture, poetry, literature, philosophy, etc... still resonates today.

Some beautiful "early" music from Spain... complete with equally beautiful and appropriate imagery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPoW4R_ULc ...
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast