View RSS Feed

Stlukesguild

Stlukesguild's Ramblings-

Random musings about art, poetry, music, and just about anything that pops into my mind by an incurable and unapologetic bibliophile... nay bibliomaniac.

1. Sean Scully Part Two

Sean Scully pt. 2

With this final group of paintings Scully reached a true high-water-mark in his career... something that was quite recognized by the art establishment. Last summer Scully became one of the elect few artist to ever witness his own retrospective exhibition in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York:

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sean Scully

Sean Scully

Perhaps the single most important champion of the merits of abstract painting in the last couple of decades has been the transplanted Irishman, Sean Scully. Scully was born in Dublin in 1945 and moved to England in 1949. He studied art in London, Newcastle, and Harvard. He began his career as a figurative painter in the manner of the German Expressionists, but his career took a defining ...

Updated 09-29-2008 at 09:47 PM by stlukesguild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Ten Questions on Everyone's Mind

The Ten Questions on Everyone's Mind
    (following in the wake of examples by Petrarch'sLove, Virgil, Antiquarian... and probably a number more by this point in time)

1. One book that changed your life- This was initially a difficult question. But eventually I came up with three. The first would be J.L. Borges' Labyrinths. Borges undoubtedly opened me up to the endless possibilities of Post-Modernist literature... and art. Where I had been initially hesitant about the self-consciousness ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516