View RSS Feed

Stlukesguild

Stlukesguild's Ramblings-

Random musings about art, poetry, music, and just about anything that pops into my mind by an incurable and unapologetic bibliophile... nay bibliomaniac.

1. Hieronymus Bosch c. 1450-1516-part 4

Like many artists, I have played at the game of what painting I would want to take with me on the proverbial desert island. Inevitably, I have been drawn to the Garden of Earthly Delights. The layers of meaning... the complexity... the contrast and variation from the most noble ideals... to lush sensuality... physical beauty... and eroticism... to the almost exquisite brutality... horror... ugliness... Such leads me to feel that I might easily spend endless hours with this work without ever feeling ...

Updated 11-18-2008 at 11:55 PM by stlukesguild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. James Whistler

I have already posted this to the Art Group here at LitNet... but on the outside chance that there are some others outside that group interested in art... I'll offer it up in my blog as well.

I have long admired Whistler... although I will admit that I have not often given him the consideration that is his due... You must smile at his audacity which led to his becoming one of the first real modern "bad boys" of art. This was often hidden behind the absolute elegance of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Pieter Breughel the Elder (c. 1529- 1569)- pt. 2

Beyond his more fantastic work Breughel was a master of the landscape. He is largely credited with perfecting the so-called "world view" or the high point of view from which the horizon stretches back to infinity. He is also unrivaled in his ability to suggest weather and atmosphere. His greatest landscapes comprised a series of paintings known as the "Months" or "Seasons" of which 5 survive. There may only have been 6 (one for every 2 months), but if there actually ...

Updated 10-19-2008 at 11:09 PM by stlukesguild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Pieter Breughel the Elder (c. 1529- 1569)

Pieter Breughel the Elder was by all standards an absolute giant in the history of art. In some ways his reputation is not unlike that of Titian, Velasquez, Ingres, and Bonnard... a painter's painter who only grows in estimation over time. I first came to him through the work of Hieronymus Bosch and imagined him originally to be something of a poor man's version of Bosch... complete with preening peasants dancing. With time I realized he was much, much more (not to underestimate Bosch... an absolute ...

Updated 10-19-2008 at 11:14 PM by stlukesguild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My Latest Painting

Just yesterday I finished my latest painting. I've been working on this one for quite some time, but actually I must admit that it took more time than usual due to the fact that I really haven't been getting into my studio as much as I would like: the start of school- lesson plans and grading, and a few family traumas kept me tied up far more than usual.

Any way... the painting in question is entitled Medusa (although I'm not completely sold on that title... any suggestions?): ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized