View RSS Feed

Stlukesguild

Stlukesguild's Ramblings-

Random musings about art, poetry, music, and just about anything that pops into my mind by an incurable and unapologetic bibliophile... nay bibliomaniac.

1. A Brief Look at Pieter Brueghel the Elder Pt 1

Deleted due to Google

Updated 10-04-2013 at 06:06 PM by stlukesguild

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Temptation: My Latest Painting

Already I am back with my latest artistic effort. This painting came together more rapidly than any I have worked on for quite some time. Two weeks total from start to finish: not bad for a painting that measures 80x44"... especially when one considers the unbearable heat and humidity in my studio as of recent.

I had initially intended a clothed figure... something perhaps based upon the theme of Isabella and the Pot of Basil (Boccaccio and Keats) but all of the preliminary ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Prosperpina/Persephome: A Work in Progress... and Finished!

Having largely locked in the young girl I turned toward the mother:

I roughly laid in a light green for her dress and a blue under-painting for her veil which was to be white. Immediately I find that I have doubts about this color combination.

I decided to hold off on the dress and go to work on the face and veil figuring that finishing these would give me a greater idea of what ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Magdalena-A Study in Scarlet

After several months of labor (while working full time, mind you) I have completed the latest in my series of "icons". This one is something of a contemporary take on the penitent Mary Magdalene...the "scarlet woman"... kneeling and somewhat teary-eyed. Like the rest of this series, this painting is deeply rooted in my love of art history. There are elements drawn from Byzantine icons, Medieval European and Persian book illuminations, Japanese Ukiyo-e prints, early Renaissance ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized