View RSS Feed

Imported Poems

description

1. Pascal's Wager

by , 01-21-2007 at 04:06 PM (Imported Poems)
    Blaise Pascal was a brilliant French mathematician who gave us countless advances in probability calculation, as well as the grade ten mathematical crutch known as Pascal’s triangle. He also formulated Pascal’s Wager, a theorem which argues that logic demands belief in God, as one has nothing to lose in the afterlife if He does not exist.

Pascal’s Wager has been criticized from all sides. Among the frequently raised objections are that God would see through the Wager and send you ...
    Categories
  2. Oysters and People

by , 01-03-2007 at 07:42 PM (Imported Poems)
    One of the most common themes in contemporary philosophy is that of the relationship between humans and the rest of the universe. This relationship is of great significance to the question of the meaning of life, for if the nature of this relationship were to be exactly discovered, it is assumed that meaning would logically follow. David Hume proposes the simplest imaginable answer: “[T]he life of a man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster”. It is this writer’s intention ...
    Categories
  3. A Word About Meaning

by , 11-06-2006 at 12:17 AM (Imported Poems)
    This is not a blog

Well, clearly it is. A blog I mean. So why the title?

I am not, as you may have assumed, simply trying to be clever. In reality, I have a pathological and completely irrational hatred of the terms 'blog', 'blogger', 'blogging', 'blogged' and 'blogginess', and I won't be mentioning them again. Thank you.

Going into battle with six pairs of socks

I myself have not yet worked out quite what this means. It was taken ...
    Categories
  4. What if we had a war and nobody came?

by , 11-02-2006 at 05:41 PM (Imported Poems)
    The General sat down
    And cried like a teenage girl
    Whose party had flopped.
    Categories
  5. On Boston

by , 11-02-2006 at 05:41 PM (Imported Poems)
    The lady in the red dress is moving all around the uptown
    She's going to Paris and Rome on her way around
    But you know she's not traveling, you know she's only moving around
    And her tastes aren't so simple, she'll break your bank for her evening gown

The Greek politician writes his views out into a haiku
    He reads it to the press, who find it to be simple as a rule
    The write it with pencils and pens and other fine tools
    And they all pretend ...
    Categories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast