View RSS Feed

Insights from a person of questionable sanity

You will not laugh me out of my opinion

1. Words of wisdom

by , 04-07-2007 at 11:17 AM (Insights from a person of questionable sanity)
    A few words of Wisdom from a Master

‘V.S. Pritchett’s definition of a short story is “something glimpsed from the corner of the eye, in passing”. First the glimpse. Then the glimpse given life, turned into something that will illuminate the moment and just maybe lock it indelibly into the readers consciousness. Make it a part of the reader’s own experience, as Hemmingway so nicely put it. Forever, the writer hopes. Forever.

If we’re lucky, writer and reader alike,

Updated 02-25-2009 at 07:43 AM by optimisticnad

Categories
    Literature
  2. Short Story: Part 3

by , 04-07-2007 at 11:14 AM (Insights from a person of questionable sanity)

Human loneliness

Oh boy, now there’s a topic we’re all experts at! We can all wax lyrical about loneliness. We’re all familiar with that feeling of being surrounded by people and yet still being alone. It is such a bizarre feeling for me, an absurd emotion and what better medium than a short story can express it so well? Loneliness is a recurring theme in short stories and due to the length-the brevity of a short story it hits the mark more than a novel on loneliness.

Updated 02-25-2009 at 07:43 AM by optimisticnad

Categories
    Literature
  3. Just a few minutes

by , 03-30-2007 at 08:19 AM (Insights from a person of questionable sanity)
    This is my second draft, not much has changed except now I've made hints that my character Burt Madison strangled his wife with her hair. Is anyone familiar with 'Porphyria's Lover' by Robert Browning? I've alluded to his poem.

Just a few minutes

This will take just a few minutes. I want to tell you about Burt Madison’s last day. He is now kneeling by his double-size bed with his arms outstretched on top of the white covers. Burt Madison cut both his ...
    Categories
  4. Just a few minutes

by , 03-28-2007 at 03:05 PM (Insights from a person of questionable sanity)
    Below is a short story I am working on to submit for my Creative Writing module.
    The background to this story is on a previous entry in this blog (i think called memorable incident).

Any feedback would be great!

Just a few minutes

This will take just a few minutes. I want to tell you about Burt Madison’s last day. He is now kneeling by his double-size bed with his arms outstretched on top of the white covers. Burt Madison ...
    Categories
  5. Short Story: Part 2

by , 03-26-2007 at 04:49 PM (Insights from a person of questionable sanity)

Knowing the ending at the beginning

Katherine Anne Porter stated that 'If I didn't know the ending of a story, I wouldn't begin.' Her story endings are not only foreseen, they are fixed points to steer by: 'I always write my last lines, last paragraph, my last page first, and then I go back and work towards it.'
    The Short Story: A Critical Introduction by Valerie Shaw.

The Short Story: Perfect for the modern world[

Updated 02-25-2009 at 07:45 AM by optimisticnad

Categories
    Literature
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast