View RSS Feed

title

description

1. War and Peace--Updated Impressions

I have currently --to my great surprise --completed the first eight books of War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I have come very late in life reading him and the experience is pleasant.

Now this has to be carefully said. I like Tolstoy but I am underwhelmed by him.

Years of reading Rafael Sabatini have forever conditioned me to what I expect in an historical novel. Bold dashing characters having adventures where honor and chivary and bravery accomplish much. Add to ...

Updated 03-21-2012 at 01:32 PM by mtpspur

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. War and Peace--Impressions

Having more enjoyment in War and Peace then I ever dreamed possible. I'm probably at the right age of it. After a rough Book One where the endless parties were wearing it was about the middle of Book Two that things started to pick up.

Now to give myself incentive and also a focus I did glance over a plot summary which seems to give Pierre the lion's share of the glory. For me however he comes across as dull and boring and frankly the ONLY time I found him interesting was his sudden ...

Updated 03-10-2012 at 09:20 PM by mtpspur

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. War and Peace

Great Expectations had a successful run and was finished with great satisfaction. David Copperfield was considered as that too was a High School experience but rejected simply because I remembered it fairly well whereas G E shall we say had more action/suspense to it. The Old Curiousity House was briefly studied but the internet gave away the ending so that died aborning.

In the past year or so I have been on another chatroom where the atmosphere is rather freewheeling and their ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Great Expectations

Having finished off the Sherlock Holmes stories and being too lazy to look up my Keith Laumer books in the Retief series I decided it was time to read a REAL book albeit I had already done this in junior high.

Great Expecations by Dickens was chosen over David Copperfield and a one page attempt at Waverly by Sir Walter Scoot and a bit of skimming of Ivanhoe to see if the idiot realized REBECCA is the lady he SHOULD have married--nope no change.

While remembering the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. One for the Money

The title refers to the first novel in a series byJanet Evanovich detailing the sometimes funny, chaotic life of one Stephanie Plum--Bounty Hunter. There are currently 18 books in the series--very fast reads and for the most part fluff with a sweet taste. Truth to tell Stephanie makes Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone a stuffy old maid in comparison.

I quit around book 12 mostly to catch my breath. I will be the first to admit being a fan of series. I'm also at the age where I can ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast