View RSS Feed

title

description

1. Finished Anna

War and Peace was far from being a joyful entralling read. I felt Tolstoy wastrying to cover too much ground and many of the characters were given short sceneswithout depth just to push the story along which in itself lacked cohesion.

Anna Karenia was a revelation. This kept my interest up from beginning to end. Poor Anna-I seriously do not know what to make of her. I have hadthe misfortune of knowing some shall we say 'mental' ladies and have the burn scars to prove it. Anna ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Just One Little Change

The Hobbit is coming to the movies towards the end of the year and looks as good as the Lord of the Rings was. I'm doing my daily check of certain websites for comics/movie news when there is an article on a female character Tauriel in the film. The Grumpy Dinosaur searches thru his few active brain cells trying a bit desperately to remember this lady from the book. With no success. The short term memory loss that has been troubling him lately is spreading to long term having last read the Tolkien ...

Updated 09-26-2012 at 10:18 PM by mtpspur (typos)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Anna Karenina and Don Quixote

A few months ago I read War and Peace for the usual reasons--one to say I did it and one to please a friend online from Russia that I had an interest in learning more about her country. War and Peace had many good moments to it but was wildly earratic in story pacing and character development. The main lady Natasha never in my mind rose above spoiled brat status and Pierre was a model for the Walking Dead in personality and interests. I felt Gogol the much better Russian writer. After about three ...

Updated 09-26-2012 at 02:58 PM by mtpspur

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Don Quixote Review--The True Beginning

In starting the process of tranfering my Facebook posts re Don Quixote I discovered a preface I had written there which I am NOW puting here--but with an attempt to correct numerous typos.

Attempting to read Don Quixote by Cervantes--74 chapters with the encouragement of my first friend on an certain website almost six years ago now--the only LADY I have ever known to read Rider Haggard though I also count myself a friend to another who LOVES H. G. Wells--I can take or leave him. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Don Quixote--A Casual Review

Don Quixote--Chapter 1--Impressions--a concise summary of the famous resident of La Mancha and the perils of reading too many comic books I trust. I love Batman and the Shadow--I do not PLAY at being Batman and the Shadow. A hobby gone to extremes and perhaps the first role player for the modern age. I like this old man especially since he's 49 and I am well past him now in that grand old age. I do believe I too suffer the Peter Pan syndrome--not really wanting to grow up.

The above ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast