PDA

View Full Version : One of my favourites! :D

Jaderpop
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
If you enjoyed this book then you may also enjoy "Kidnapped" aka "The Lad with The Silver Butten" also written by Robert Louis Stevenson. I'm almost done with "The Black Arrow" and so far I agree whole heartedly. It's the best medival advanture I know of. The best thing, in my opinon, is that Joanna and Dick are not just in love but they are friends. I also love the fact the Joanna is not the typical weak maiden needing to be saved. She is smart and strong. I'm soo glad I've seen someone who is as excited as I am about this book.

Andy
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I found this book by chance and don't think it has the attention it deserves at all. I am now searching for similar texts. I could scarcly put the book down and once getting through two or three chapters was hooked. If you really liked this book, you might enjoy a book titled "A Country Tavern" set in early England of Roman occupation and up through the 1900's. The old english is especially difficult in the first chapters of Black Arrow, but lightens up later in the text. This is a great story and could use a modern language re-write just to get a new generation to read and appreciate it. I started reading it with my 9 year old son and he lost interest as he could not follow the story line. I will keep this book in my permanant collection and treasure it for all time.

Caylea
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
(I'm from Germany, so please excuse my English, first of all. ;))<br>I read this book last year for the first time and I totally fell in love with it! It's hard to describe why but somehow Stevenson (who became one of my favourite authors afterwards) always finds the perfect way to keep the reader excited and interested, whatever happens. And by the way, I really enjoyed the lovestory between Joanna and Dick... it's just SO funny how everybody realises that Jack's not a boy and only Dick doesn't... *laughs*<br>The best Chapter -in my oppinion- is the 11th, so of course I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you to read it!! :D <br>(I'm really sort of obsessed with this book, I'm sorry... uhm... yes, that's it, just read it, you don't want to miss one of the most charming books in the world, do ya?! :))