PDA

View Full Version : Persuasion

Jenny
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
While I do not think this is Austen's best novel, I do enjoy it and think it explores a lot of interesting issues in family dynamics and the role of women during the time period.<br><br>I would recommend this to people who already have read Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice, because they give you an appreciation for Persuasion. However, I would not recommend starting with this book because it might dissuade some people from reading other Austen work because it tends to be slow and complicated in some parts.<br><br>

scruffy_danny
07-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Interestingly enough I just finished reading it and it was my first Jane Austen. I thought it was brilliant. Though it wasn't exactly the most exciting book I've read (indeed far from it) I still thoroughly appreciated the perfect style in which it was written. It also had a tendency to amuse me quite often, the character Mary being particularly funny.

malwethien
04-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I just finished reading this and I have to say that I really liked it. I still like Pride and Prejudice better but Persuasion is my second favorite.

CatonHotTinRoof
06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Persuasion is an excellent Jane Austen. People assume that she is just Pride and Prejudice when they do not read her other novels. I myself love Sense and Sensibility too.

Yes Persuasion did not have the most exciting plot it was however very well written and Austen as usual did an excellent job at describing her characters.

Whenever I see a film based on a Jane Austen novel (especially Pride and Prejudice) I always think that they cast it really well and its exactly the way I thought that character was to be.

Niamh
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen Novel. Anne Eliot is like my heroine. Throughout the whole novel you feel her pain. Imagine watching the man you loved and still love flirting with young ladies that are practically family to you!