PDA

View Full Version : Persusaion

Unregistered
03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I really loved this book, and though Austen's style of expressing love and emotion are much more diluted than the Bronte sisters and other romantics, I've always considered that a good thing. (Mr. Rochester drove me crazy!). Austen is much more subtle in her writing, but she still succeeds in describing the emotions in the interaction of the characters.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Persusaion shows that Jane Austen had more emotion than it seems. Not to say that Jane Austen was void of emotion, but she always seems to keep it under the surface as if she is afraid of its power. Anne Elliot is one of the oldest of Jane's characters, one who has missed her chance at love, and maybe Austen could identify with that. She tells Anne's story with understanding and at the advanced age of 33, I can appreciate Persusaion more today than when I first read it. Also Sir Walter is so entertaining with his crazed obession on appearance, and Mary's hypochondria is just as comical. It calls to mind Mrs. Bennet and leaves me wondering about the people who must have given Austen the inspiration for these creations.