PDA

View Full Version : DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON

megz
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
totally right my man!!!!

Unregistered
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
<br><br>What a totally ignorant comment. So here's another one. You don't deserve books, go put the television on again.

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Obviously some people lack the capacity to read deeper into the message authors are trying to convey to their readers. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is not about some drug addict dancing around ideas. If you had taken the time to actually read the book, not just the words on the page, you would see that it is an examination of the duality of man. It is an insight on how it is necessary for man to have both his good side and his dark side, for without one you cannot have the other. Also, it is a warning against the use of science to try an alter the natural process of life. Dr. Jekyll was tired of struggling with the evil inside of him so he tried to isolate and destroy it. What he discovered is that he liked being Hyde and this eventually lead to his dark side taking control and killing him. Thirdly, Stevenson's descriptions of the characters take place throughout the entirety of the book and as such are very complex, this adds to themes Stevenson potrays in his tale. Finally, if it took you three hours to read this book i suggest Hooked-On-Phonics, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is only 55 pages long.<br>

anonymous
You don't deserve books, books are a gift not trash.

GeneralD
I think you were right on most points except for the ending. I think that sometimes a sad ending is a good ending, because in reality, not everything turns out perfectly. I liked the book, and I love reading stories! You should get back to reading stories. It can make you feel like a kid again.

Unregistered
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
you have entirely the wrong idea - the poison in this story is entirely irrelevant. you are missing the entire concept of this book, and its depth. its quite evident you seldom read - you are practically ignorant

Anonymous
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Talk about the wrong idea. This guy was pretty much on target, the first I have seen in dozens of pages to see a parallel between drug addiction and personality change. The poison in the story is the central point. It is the very root of the transformation. Dr. Jekyll has a degree of duality in him. Then he takes the potion for the first time - and bam! he feels giddy, lighter in step, happier. People don't get drunk or high because it makes them feel crummier. They do it because it transforms them into a happy and free person - something many people never felt prior to the escape of self that intoxicants nearly always bring.<br><br>But in the end, the "poison" ceases to bring the lightheartedness it once did. It allows the baser natures of fulfilling desires and taking whatever you want whenever you want. It turns a good person into a horrible person. In seeking to escape the negative side of himself, Dr. Jekyll devises a potion. But in his search for freedom - he finds a tormenting prison - his own body and the guilt of his own actions. <br><br>Do you think crack mothers want to hurt their unborn children by knowingly smoking that stuff? Do you think when they were little girls they planned to do that with their lives? I don't. But in an attempt to escape a reality that was unpleasing to them, they turn to more and more serious drugs (alcohol usually being the first) that allow them to feel free and young. And then one day - they are selling their bodies for the thrill of being high and then can't escape the horror of the Hyde-like things they do. So, they must do more intoxicants to escape the old realities - guilt and shame - only to find the increase in the consumption leads to more and more insane behavior until the world comes crashing in - or they die. <br><br>No, this book is not merely the story of a drug addict. It is a fantasy written over a hundred years ago filled with pop psychology of its day, themes of good and evil - love and hate -- which pre-date Christianity and probably pre-date intoxicants themselves. <br><br>But this story was contemporary with Freud. And he was a cocaine addict. That is part of how he developed his theories of the ego, id and superego. By tinkering with a "white powder" he found layers of his being that he could separate out and saw these base instincts unleashed. He played with fire and got burned. But society gained much from his exploration.

Unregistered
04-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I doubt that this is trully what you think about the book but you are unable to put your inner, perhaps even more complex feelings on the subject of the book into words because of your lack of vocabulary and literary knowledge. Therefore you decide to "bless" us all with your opinion.

Bill Ashley
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm glad I finished this, talk about a story that doesn't tell a story. I thought word usuage and potrayal of actions was nicely done. I thought the potrayal of a drug addict was interesting as well. I thought the ending was unfullfilling and really quite sad. It really only danced around ideas and when over a period of a few years in a very short period of time... the introduction itself seemed only to establish a connection between utterson and lanyon to hyde and jekyl, it seemed more an attempt at fanciful writting than it did do anything else. This book serves as a reminder as to why I seldom read stories anymore. I thought the whole raver phat pant thing was sorta funny. I feel like I just wasted 3 hours of my life, but I got a literary essay to do anyway thought I would share my opinion. I thought it was nice and if I was in the mood to read I might have even enjoyed it but this felt more like a whip than an adventure.