PDA

View Full Version : Distortions on Hyde

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
elizabeth- i think that movie makers chose to potray hyde as larger than jekyll so that the public could identify him as a stereotypical monster character that has been created by so many horror films in the past if someone hadnt read the book then they not have made the connection between the smaller character and the "smaller" personalty that hyde posesses.

laura
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
have you seen the 1930's version because hyde is smaller than jekyll in that version! in studying it for my gcse's and thats the version i watched and its corny but its a good way of getting your head around the difference in characters.

anonymous
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I think Hyde is portrayed as a larger man because when we as a society look at our fears, they seem huge and overwhelming, even impossible. Making him larger makes the problam seem larger and more difficult to overcome. Now when we do overcome them, we are able to feel better about ourselves and more proud because the problem was so huge and ugly. I think in the book Hyde was smaller than Jekyll because the author was of the opinion that every person has a small amount of evil in them, but it shouldn't be too big for them to overcome.

Elizabeth
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
In all I've read on this site, there seem to be some helpful comments on the book. So, now I have a question. Why do you think movie makers have opted to portray Hyde as a monster that is larger than Jekyll when the book clearly states that he shrinks in transformation? I'm working on a paper for my British Literature class and can't find any sources other than movie reviews. If nothing turns up, I'll have to change the topic of my paper to discuss why the film industry felt it was necessary to add women to the story as love interests for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Thanks.