PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Lisa
08-09-2002, 01:00 AM
'Like taking a tortoise for a walk'...creative analogy (!) but quite clearly missing the point. As you hoped, I did not 'waste [my] time like [you] did'-- but I did read the book. The point is you only waste your time if you approach it in the wrong way. You can't expect a book about late nineteenth century upper-class society to be like a thriller! If you read it for what it is, rather than what it is not, you will find there are a great deal of issues and ideas raised which you might not have considered before. <br><br>One day you might come to appreciate it.

Gemma
11-06-2002, 02:00 AM
The Age of Innocence was first read by myself when I was 17 as part of my coursework and at this early age the book gripped me in a way that showed me what a society which had limited views on the stance of women and of course of men and the code of conduct that had to be adhered to at that time was really like. Wharton herslef has made the book a realistic act of life and makes any reader indulged and one with that time. I have just recently reread the book and my understanding of it on a whole has developed because I am now able to see the fuller picture that is presented through Whartons narrative perspective which is not necessarliy easy to see when the book is first read. <br>

Danny boy
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Worst book ever.(enough said)

Anonymous
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Age of Innocence was the worst book I have ever read. It was like taking a tortoise for a walk. Who wants to read about rich people and their troubles anyway? I suffered miserably trying to get through this book for a summer reading project. I hope you don't waste your time like I did.