PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

R.A.Niedo
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I was encouraged to read this novel, from cover to cover, because of a recent article where his bones after a hundred years burial were reported to have been tansferred to another site, witnessed by a throng of French Dumas fanatics. I wanted to know the man more, and so I thought this novel provided the means. <br><br>I wonder if Dumas was a lawyer. He writes of so many concepts studied in Philippine law about wills, codicils, supercargo, drafts, and letters of credit. Well the King's Attorney Villefort is much like a Filipino Fiscal perhaps in his zeal to prosecute the guilty, if not in his equivocation on matters that pertain his own crime or that of his family. <br><br>I tremendously enjoyed the novel, with the French law (civil, criminal, and commercial) and historical concepts it portrayed, not to mention its allusions to many other works of art in vogue as of its time. <br><br>I would say also that the novel let loose a surge of human emotions and a steady march of action/events ascending like a cresendoe of a million thumping and booming drums and trumtets to pale in comparison the latest and modern day best seller.<br><br>Thank you Dumas for such a talent.