PDA

View Full Version : all about us

Della~Moon
05-31-2003, 09:02 PM
heylo, i was just wondering if i could start a topic all about forum members. I'm still kinda new here so i really want to get to know everyone, Ya'll can call me Della (not my real name but i wish it were) I'm sixteen Female and live in the true north strong and free yes thats right i'm a kanuck (Canadian for all you guys who have never heard of us) and proud of it :rolleyes: LOL'z

Jay
06-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Hi Della. So, my name also isn't Jay but I like it, I'm nineteen, female as well, and as you can see in my profile I'm from the Czech republic, a little country in central Europe. I think it was a good idea to start this topic, this way we all could get to know each other better.

imthefoolonthehill
06-01-2003, 02:25 PM
problem with these forums is that I have no way of knowing you guys aren't both fat, sweaty 60-year old men sitting in a couch somewhere in California... :-?

Della~Moon
06-01-2003, 04:44 PM
true, (but i am not!!!! okay so i feel fat at times but i am in no way a 60 year old guy, i am very much a girl lol'z and only just turned sweet 16) and how do we know your not a creepy dude from the CIA with the stuff that can track our every move lol

Koa
06-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Good idea for a topic yes, I always would like to get to know other 'forumers' ;)

But at the same time it's strange to have to confess my identity....of fat 60-years old form California lol ;)

Ok ok i'll tell all but the truth... I'm a girl, i'm 21 (old old old :(), my name isn't Koa but that's how friends called me at school (coming from my surname...long story ;)). I'm a student at University, I study langauges and literature, i love learning languages- at the moment i'm studying English and Russian but I also speak French and very bad German...oh and a very tiny bit of Spanish. And if you're wondering, I do speak italian as my native language :) And i hope i'll learn much more.

So, enough said about me... Hope to get to know you all well! *waves bye*

Della~Moon
06-01-2003, 05:19 PM
cool cool, could you teach me some Italian? i'm going to italy this summer and i don't know any. :rolleyes:

Koa
06-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Well... in theory, i can... Not that you can learn much this way, but maybe a few words :)... I actually enjoy talking about languages and sharing languages.

Della~Moon
06-01-2003, 05:26 PM
hey could you e-mail me some useful stuff, like "hello" "good bye" "where am i and how do i get home" lol that sort of stuff? cuz i'm going to be there for 4 weeks and i don't know what i'll do!

Koa
06-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Well I could...but since someone else made lists before me, i sent you some links in a private message (as i dont see your email addy) :)

alatar
06-03-2003, 01:57 AM
getting back to the topic.....lol...male..16..new orleans..

incidentally, i too like languages....currently taking latin and homeric greek (attic next year)....know a little spanish. that is one of my favorite things about tolkien....anyways....

believe it or not, my favorite subject is math. i like the weather here...wet and hot....though i wish it would snow more than once every twenty years.

alatar obviously isn't my real name (though that would be pretty cool) but is a tolkien reference.....real name's randy...anyways...enough about me

Jay
06-04-2003, 05:17 AM
imthefollonthehill:
problem with these forums is that I have no way of knowing you guys aren't both fat, sweaty 60-year old men sitting in a couch somewhere in California...
True, you really have no way of knowing if we are what we are saying we are, but I think no-one on the forum would do such a thing. If someone feels like not telling to everyone anything about himself/herself, he/she doesn't have to and he/she can stay totally anonymous, e.g. some fat, sweaty 60-year old man from California ;) . But try to trust us, and I really am a girl, okay, I'm fat, that one you guessed, really from the Czech rep. and I also like languages, and as there is a tendency to say which languages you know, I know English, German (not so well), a little Russian and very little Latin; Czech, of course, and Slovak, as both my parents are from Slovakia. Did this answer your question, imthefoolonthehill?

nome1486
06-04-2003, 10:22 PM
While you're waiting for an affirmative...
Hi everyone, I just found this website recently also. I saw an old movie on TV called "Mademoiselle Fifi" based on a Guy de Maupassant story, got online to look up the story, and found myself here!...anyway, back on topic, I'm a 17-year-old girl from Kansas City (Missouri, USA). My main interests are reading and playing the violin. Unfortunately, the only languages I can claim any real knowledge in (more than a few words) are English and some Spanish; this will hopefully change in a year or two because I love languages also. I suppose we all do in a sense, or else we wouldn't be on an online forum for literature. ;)

Della~Moon
06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Alatar: OMG!!!!!!! only once every 20 years! we are lucky if we get less than 6 months of 7 feet of snow here! (Oh Canada, lol) well i guess i could tell ya all my real name, (i really hate it, bordering on loathe really) it's Desiree (but Della is so much nicer)

alatar
06-05-2003, 12:49 AM
lol....i like snow...but not that much, that's the good thing about living here..not too much snow....lol

alatar
06-05-2003, 12:51 AM
btw....Desiree isn't that bad...though Della is so much better....lol

Munro
06-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Desiree is a cool name.
I dunno, I kinda like the whole mystery thing about the forums...it's fun. Unless I'm private messaging with someone, I like to be a bit anonymous otherwise, only slightly, not coldly.

Koa
06-05-2003, 05:53 PM
yes it's a strange feeling to give the mistery away, but at some point i need to do it...

i forgot to say that i hate the weather here, too hot these days (well, it's been hot for 1 month already...) , and if i think it'll be like this (if not hotter ) for at least 3 months, well... i fell like crying... Even my mum thinks i'm not really italian.

Oh i detest my name as well- so i wont reveal it for now eh eh.
But i must confess dear Della, that i think Desiree is much better! Honestly i don't like the name Della, it doesnt even sound like a name to me...(maybe because in Italian 'della' is a preposition meaning 'of the'...).

imthefoolonthehill
06-09-2003, 08:52 PM
um... my real name really IS imthefoolonthehill... it is an ancient American Indian name meaning, "he who treads lightly on crow feathers"....
;)

Eric, son of Chuck
06-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Good idea for a topic.

My name's Eric Schneider, and I too am a Canuck, and that's with a C. -)

I'm currently attending the University of British Columbia, and trying to eek out a year's worth of tuition this year at the Butchart Gardens, our local tourist hotspot.

I'm just beginning to delve into literature, but I've been reading as long as I can remember.

I'm sure there's more to say, but dinner's on the table, and I'm famished. Adieu.

waxmephilosophical
06-27-2003, 03:35 PM
alatar, you really like the weather in new orleans?! Yucky, miserable stuff! My name is Kala, i'm 18, and I live in Baton Rouge. My opinion of the weather here is the same as the aforementioned.. :D I'll be going to Louisiana State University this fall...trying to be a vet. Geaux Tigers!! (Only true "suthanas" will get that one!)

theMarsMonster
06-28-2003, 01:59 PM
i'm Maria, 20 yrs old from Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
i'm a veterinary medicine student........

really what do you people mean by all about us????

alatar
06-29-2003, 08:55 PM
call me crazy, but i think that having the same humidity and temperature is quite comfortable..lol

good luck with lsu waxme...geaux tigers! my sister wants to go there..she's hoping for a gymnastics scholarship

waxmephilosophical
06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
I think I'm going to have to change my username now...somehow it loses its meaning when shortened to waxme... :D

alatar
07-03-2003, 04:06 PM
lol....would you rather waxmephil?

waxmephilosophical
07-03-2003, 09:28 PM
lol :D :D :D hehehe, you're a clever little person aren't you? :)

alatar
07-06-2003, 02:25 PM
i try ;)

chrissy
07-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I usually prefer to stay anonomous on these things to avoid any kind of preconcieved notions but oh well, what the hell. My real name is Christina but most people call me Chrissy. You may have guessed I am female. I'm not fat but I think I may need a tummy tuck in a few years lol! I'm 25 years old and while I'm suffering in sticky hot humid weather, I am in fact in Canada! Toronto to be exact.
Dell, if you like that name better go for it. I'm happy to lose a syllable on my name as well.
I play the piano, my second language is French, I'm a duel citizen of England as well as Canada, and if I were a millionaire I'd spend every winter in Cuba.

LoveyDovey
08-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Nice Topic! 8) Thank you Della for giving us the chance to know each other :oops:

Well, I'm a girl, 21 years old, from Saudi Arabia. I study Translation, French department, at the University... Also I study Business Management at an Open University. I love languages.. I speak French, English and of course Arabic my native language. I also speak a little Spanish AND sooo little Italian but i'm looking forward to speaking them more fluently and to learning more languages. :)
I'm so interested in World Literature especially English Literature, that is why I joined this forum -I really liked it-,, I also like swimming, movies, graphic designing and surfing the web...

;)

Lothwen
08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
I am a girl, I will be a doctor (I hope so :) ) and I am from Poland (that is all what I'd like to tell you about me :D )

Arteum
08-16-2003, 05:26 PM
I see that people over 20 are a minority at this forum ... :)

I'm a 24 y.o. PhD student at Georgia Tech, and you can see my photograph on the left. I've never attended a single class in literature. I speak Russian, Ukrainian, British English and a bit of French. I currently live in Atlanta, GA and try to do theoretical chemistry at Georgia Tech. Some of my interests are listed in my profile.

firestarter
08-17-2003, 08:52 PM
well, it seems i came to this topic a little late, but for whoever is still interested, i am female, 16, very tall and love to write. i dont think i can really give out too much more information for fear of giving out the wrong information. so there, this is me, lol :P
firestarter

Shea
08-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone! My real name is indeed Shea (after a contestant on Family Feud- how romantic :rolleyes: ) I'm female-23 and was born and raised in and near Tampa, FL. I would love to see snow every year, cause we never get any, but my husband's from Kansas and loves the sunsets and beaches, so I'll stay here a few more years for him. I'm a newly-wed of 6 months and that's our picture over there. I'll be an English major in the Fall at University of South Florida. My interests (other than books) are playing harp and sewing (I love period clothes). Sometimes I feel like I could become another version of Don Quixote. But just now, I feel like I have a big mouth so I'll shut up.

Rotty1021
09-22-2003, 08:40 PM
I am a high school student in Florida, who is studying the basic stuff thus far. I aspire to go to the University of Florida, and study English and Psychology. Then, I hope to study clinical social work, and become a psychotherapist in private practice, and maybe earn a graduate degree in English in addition to social work.

I love reading all types of books, but get the most intellectual enjoyment out of classic literature, philosophy, and the social sciences. Writing is also a hobby of mine. I write a plethora of poems a week, and also write short fictional sketches, and have a multitude of short story ideas. I am also a martial artist, as I study jiu-jitsu.

I love living.

tarachan
09-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Hullo.

My name is Tara (or Tara-Chan or Mairi Nathaira or whatever the heck you wanna call me). I'm 18 and I currently reside in Seoul, South Korea. And before you ask, NO I am not Korean. Well... maybe biologically, but nationally, I'm a US citizen.

I've graduated as c/o 2003 and am currently attending UMUC (University of Maryland, University College) Asia Division. I would love major in Films, minor in writing, and get a masters in creative writing in the near future. But as of now, I'm stuck getting an Associate in General Studies due to lack of classes avaliable.

Anyways, it's great meeting ya'll!

fayefaye
09-30-2003, 06:23 AM
i'm in australia, and it NEVER snows here EVER.

Dasha
10-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone! It seems I'm a little bit late for the discussion, but I hope hope I'll get your excuse because as u can see I've just registered. I'd just like to introduce myself. Occasionally some days ago I've come across this site and I liked it! So in few words I'm a girl (definitely a female! D ) from Russia, I'm 18 and I study Oriental studies at university - Chinese culture in particular (and really enjoy it!). This summer I've been to Dublin for 6 weeks (it there any Irish persons here, I wonder?). And I'm also looking forward to studying Italian as the second foreign language (I hope I'll start it next week!!!).

KLO
10-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Since I, too, have only recently joined, please allow me to introduce myself. I am much older than everyone who has responded to this thread. ;) I am female, and I am currently residing in Fort Worth, Texas. I work as an adjunct professor of English.

Stanislaw
10-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Hello! My real name is not Stanislaw. I adopted this name from the famouse Polish author Stanislaw Lem. I am a high school student, in Canada. I enjoy fencing, canoeing, backpacking, fishing, and the sport os sumo wrestling.

Jay
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey lasses and lads (and women and men lol, ladies and gents...), just wanted to tell you it's never too late for anything...

Koa
10-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone! It seems I'm a little bit late for the discussion, but I hope hope I'll get your excuse because as u can see I've just registered. I'd just like to introduce myself. Occasionally some days ago I've come across this site and I liked it! So in few words I'm a girl (definitely a female! :D ) from Russia, I'm 18 and I study Oriental studies at university - Chinese culture in particular (and really enjoy it!). This summer I've been to Dublin for 6 weeks (it there any Irish persons here, I wonder?). And I'm also looking forward to studying Italian as the second foreign language (I hope I'll start it next week!!!).

:rolleyes: I'm Italian and I study Russian... ;)
:o And in another forum I got to know another Dasha from Ekaterinburg! (At first i though it was you! But it's definitely not). Coincidences... :)

Annie
10-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Hiya everybody!

As stated in another post I'm 51. I'm from Michigan, lived in Tennessee for a decade, and have been living in Scotland for 3 1/2 years. I love history - mostly ancient Irish and Scottish and also early American culture and history - 17th and 18th century. My books mainly consist of Celtic history/mythology/culture/religions, and Bill Bryson books. Currently reading Sister Fidelma Mysteries - a 7th century Irish sleuth - history and entertainment all in one!

Also an outdoor enthusiast - hike, bike, canoe and kayak.

Rotty1021
10-07-2003, 05:48 PM
What brought you to Scotland? Your interest in its history and culture, or something on an opposite end of the spectrum? :D

Annie
10-07-2003, 06:04 PM
What brought you to Scotland? Your interest in its history and culture, or something on an opposite end of the spectrum? :D

Both actually. My interests (history and outdoors) are what lead me to meeting my husband (via internet). Married him and moved to Scotland. Love it here! :D

faith
06-04-2004, 06:17 AM
My name is Laura. Faith (my nick) is just a name I love and wish it were mine. Im 18 y old and live in Finland in northern Europe. Next fall Im starting my last year at upper secondary school. After that I think Im gonna study litterature. I love reading!!!!!!!

emily655321
06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
A belated "Welcome," Faith/Laura! :) (Which name should we call you by?)
New members (as if I'm not one myself) are always fun to meet. I look forward to knowing you better.

crisaor
06-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Good idea for a topic.
My name's Eric Schneider, and I too am a Canuck, and that's with a C. -)
I'm sure there's more to say, but dinner's on the table, and I'm famished. Adieu.
Haven't seen you in a long time. Glad to know you're around. :)

emily655321
06-04-2004, 06:23 PM
He ain't. Check out the date on the thread. ;)

crisaor
06-04-2004, 06:29 PM
He ain't. Check out the date on the thread. ;)
My bad.
That's what you get when people resurrect threads dead long ago.

emily655321
06-05-2004, 03:00 AM
:D I know, I've done that before too.

subterranean
08-13-2004, 09:00 PM
HI, I'm Sub, 23 yo, female, like taking pictures in the museums (an amateur phographer though), like to hang out in second hand book store and record store, like playing literati in yahoo, a huge fan of old bands, and wish i were born in the 50's, grew up in the 60 and 70s, got kids in the 80, retired in the 90 and travel around the world....

Cheers

Taliesin
08-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Hmm, I seem to be the youngest person here. My name is Toomas (not Thomas), I am 15, I live in Estonia. I study ..... nothing,because it's summer holiday. But I am brilliant at mathematics (yes, honestly), not so brilliant at languages (I know only estonian, english and a bit of german). And when the autumn comes I will study flute at music school for the 7th year. I write and compose and know how to play guitar a bit.I like literature and mythology and wandering around.
Well, this seems to be all.

Monica
08-14-2004, 06:13 AM
My name is Monika and I'm 19. From October I'll be studying English and American Literature and Culture. Apart from languages I'm not good at anything. Obviously I love literature and additionally tennis, my guinea pig Oscar and songs by U2.

atreides
08-14-2004, 01:15 PM
My name is Sylvia and im 22 and live in New Zealand, though I am an Australian from Perth, Western Australia, and have been living here for 9 months. I seem to buck the trend as I have graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, though I have always really enjoyed english, and was second in my year 12 english literature class, having just been beaten in the exam by the highschool dux (yes its still a sore point, he got top in so many other classes, he could of given this one class to me!).

Anyway, languages I speak are only English and Polish, my parents migrated to Australia just before I was born so I have dual citizenship, and have visited twice. I also know a few Italian words, having studied it in school, but many years ago.

subterranean
08-15-2004, 06:32 AM
...But I am brilliant at mathematics (yes, honestly), not so brilliant at languages (I know only estonian, english and a bit of german). And when the autumn ....

My mother was a math teacher, one of fav teachers at her school, but i was so stupind in math and i'm alergic to math :)

Koa
08-17-2004, 04:41 PM
!!!!!!!! I thought Taliesin was female and atreides was male!!!! :eek: :D

And I always hated maths and was crap at it :D

subterranean
08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Oh these nick names are tricky

verybaddmom
08-18-2004, 08:07 PM
i am really surprised to see that i have never introduced myself on here, i was sure that i had. i suppose that you all could get most of your info from my profile, as its pretty up to date, but really, who am i to miss an opportunity to post.
i am crap at math, i can count back change if the tills break down and that's about it.
i am surprised also at Taliesin's youth. i thought you were much older. hmmm....
anyhow, im thirty, a mother (obviously) of one amazing twelve year old boy, i am studying enlish lit through distance ed right now and taking a semester off of the structured learning environment. im a bartender for pay, and i love kickboxing, body piercing and my boyfriend. um....that's about it, i guess.

subterranean
08-18-2004, 08:58 PM
ou you're a bartender?
kewl :D

ajoe
08-18-2004, 11:04 PM
It's about time I jump in. I'm a 19-year-old college student. Probably gonna major in dentistry just because that's something I hate to do. I can't risk majoring in something I like in case I end up hating it, if you know what I mean. And hey, even if I'd hate being a dentist, at least I'd make decent money for a living.

I haven't been reading high-quality literature lately, but I should be back on track by September. In the meantime, my favorite classical book would be... The Little Women and Heidy, among many others.

I can also speak 3.5 languages, including basic Chinese and simplified Catish. Talk to me if you wanna learn.

Finally, I LOVE Kids Next Door and Calvin and Hobbes!!!

ajoe
08-18-2004, 11:05 PM
My name is Monika and I'm 19. From October I'll be studying English and American Literature and Culture. Apart from languages I'm not good at anything. Obviously I love literature and additionally tennis, my guinea pig Oscar and songs by U2.

That's Monika with the K? Cool. Why didn't you spell your username that way, though?

Koa
08-19-2004, 10:59 AM
ajoe, what's Catish?

subterranean
08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
It's about time I jump in. I'm a 19-year-old college student. Probably gonna major in dentistry just because that's something I hate to do. I can't risk majoring in something I like in case I end up hating it, if you know what I mean. And hey, even if I'd hate being a dentist, at least I'd make decent money for a living.!!

now that;s what i called bravery..doing something that u have to do but feel optimistic about the result...good for you Ajoe...i mean i can't imagine my self doing something that i hate..well sometimes i can...

Koa
08-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I can only do things I like...that's why my studies are total madness and will lead me anywhere while most people go for what's useful even if they hate it and think I'm mad...but I'm just ruled by passions, and won't mind if I end up in a crappy job, at least I enjoyed my studies.

ajoe
08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
ajoe, what's Catish?

Cat language. >:]
All three of my cats always reply to my meow.

Koa
08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
:goof: :rolleyes: omg ajoe...and I thought it was some human language I had never heard of... My (brother's) cat replies running away to every bad stare of mine... Took a while to teach him that, but he now knows who's the one giving orders here...ME! *evil face*

Monica
08-21-2004, 01:48 PM
That's Monika with the K? Cool. Why didn't you spell your username that way, though?

while registering to this forum i wrote my name automatically with the C because my English teacher, who is an Englishman, used to pronounce my name in an English way and he wrote it with a C. so now every time i talk in English with somebody or write my name while thinking in English i'm used to doing it in an English way. complicated :)

EAP
08-23-2004, 12:14 AM
My name is Yawar and I am doing A-Levels in Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Living in Pakistan my intrests are Literature, Literature, Sports and then some more literature. :nod:

Favorite Movie is probably Chinatown or Casablanca and If I were asked to pick one book out of all, I'd probably go for To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Other then that I love eating, biking, hiking and just goofing around.

I am intrested in languages but so far only understand three, English, Punjabi and Urdu. :(

Thanks

Miranda
08-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Hiya Monika and EAP. I'm just Miranda and do nothing in particular. But I too speak catish, Ajoe and have four. Have you noticed when you close your eyes slowly when a cat is looking at you, they do it back? I think it means, I am very content and at peace with the world, thank you very much as opposed to that tail and head in the air pose that says I want my breakfast and I want it now.

I wish I could sleep tonight..this morning, cos tis five-thirty now.

subterranean
08-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Cat language. >:]
All three of my cats always reply to my meow.

is there any Dogish..?

amuse
08-23-2004, 02:28 AM
I am intrested in languages but so far only understand three, English, Punjabi and Urdu. :(

Thanks
that's 2 more than me. wow...i feel so undereducated. hats off.

EAP
08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
LoL, seeing as Punjabi is my mother tongue, Urdu my country's tongue and English the de facto lingua franca of the world, It isn't something spectecular at all; just one of the advantages of being born in a non-english country. :D

Though might come in handy one day for making impression :p specially with the addition of Latin.

Koa
08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Punjabi and Urdu do make impression :) Probably because they're so different from the indoeuropean languages we are used to in Europe/America :) I also find it impressive when people whose mother toungue is so different from English speak such good English.

Hummingbirdtat2
09-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Great thread. Since I'm new here, I thought I'd jump on. People over 20 are pretty rare on here, huh? I'm 32, will be 33 next month; and just now beginning my college career. I'm an English major, and actually recommended this site to my current English professor. I've been happily married nearly 15 years to my best friend, and a mother of five unbelievably cool kids.

Thanks for letting me tag along!

crisaor
09-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Have you noticed when you close your eyes slowly when a cat is looking at you, they do it back? I think it means, I am very content and at peace with the world, thank you very much as opposed to that tail and head in the air pose that says I want my breakfast and I want it now.
That's funny. You do seem to speak catish after all. ;)

Pensive
09-04-2005, 01:50 PM
I am a student. I live in Pakistan. I am interested in novels, movies and music...

I love to know about different country's cultures. I also love to learn languages. I can understand english, urdu and a bit of punjabi.

I like reading novels and short stories. My favourite novel is mill on the floss by George Eliot.

samercury
09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Samercury here :)
... let's see... I just turned 16 and my real anme is Rébecca (notice the accent)... I spent most of my life in Haiti so I speak Creole and French (also a bit of Spanish- weeny tiny though. Right now I live in Boston. Since starting high school, i've been learning Latin (what fun). I love reading and writing and hope to become a doctor... that's all for now. :as-sleep: