PDA

View Full Version : Dumas ascension to the highest level

A passionate reader
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I always believed that no matter what kind of a writer one is, he or she will never reach or surpass the level that Shakespeare has attained. I always believed that Shakespeare is a writer of different dimensions; a writer with multitude, with mass, and with absolute substance. Shakepeare to me has become someone who is elevated one step above the best, because he was smart and witty. If Shakespeare did not look down upon the world, the world definitely looked up to him. BUT...........after reading Monte Cristo, in particular the chapter entitled "Idiology", I became impressed, in fact, so much, that I thought the text was touched by the finger of God. Shakespeare can reach the highest mountain with his philosophy and sophisication, but Dumas' simplicity--"and simplicity is always perfection"-- raises him above any mountain. For Dumas attaines with his unbelievable talent new heights, new levels that so much extend farther than the ordinary level of human understanding. Dumas is the hallmark, the "expounder", of men. Edmont Dantes isn't just a man inside whom God is awakened. Edmont Dantes is Dumas; through Dantes Dumas speaks his mind to the world about everything men encounters in life, namely ruin, revenge, wealth, poverty, love, hate, war, and peace. And because of Dumas we now understand that life isn't just about money, or power, or revenge. It is obvious now that the two most important words in life are WAIT and HOPE, because "we must feel like what it is to die, that we may go on enjoying the pleasures of living". Or at least, if we don't ever in life feel like what it is to die, we should remember that some have felt it and that we should live our lifes with this sole acknowledgement.