PDA

View Full Version : Three Musketeers

Margot
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
If you love Athos, why don't you marry him? Oh, wait, maybe that's a bad idea. He doesn't seem to get along very much with his wife, if you know what I mean.

Robin
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Hey I think you got Porthos and Aramis mixed up...Porthos is the self absored one. Aramis is personally my favorite of the original musketeers although I liked D'Artagnen more in the later books.

Ashley
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Your totally right, Debbie. I mean how can anyone trust Aramis and hate Athos.

Alien
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Aramis is untrustworthy and secretive? Who happens to be the enigmatic, quiet one with the secret hidden past?All throughout the book we know next to nothing about Athos' past while we do know Aramis was studying to be a priest originally and even the author,Dumas, tells us in his descrptions of Athos that he was secretive. I also agree with Robin you defidently got Aramis and Porthos switched around.

Unregistered
02-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Aramis Rocks!

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
The son of porthos follows Aramis, and the "son" of porthos in an adventure that takes place after The Man in The Iron Mask. I am almost done reading the book. The main character Joel, is searching to discover who is father is. In the novel, supposedly Porthos, fell in love with a farm girl shortly before his death, and died before learning she was pregnant. The farm girl, did not know Porthos, by any other name than Porthos, and Joel wishes to lean what sort of man his father was. Thus leaving Joel with a major undertaking. Aramis, is the epitime of evil in this story. He is now the Duke of Almada, and the spanish ambassador to France. The timing, style of writing, and diction of the author, all lead me to believe that this was not written by Dumas. I have read, all of the Three Musketeers series, and this simply is not in the same style. The book is boring, and the adventures pointless. Only read this novel. if you are a true fan, dieing of curiosity.

Debbie
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Why is everybody criticising Athos? I love Athos. Surely the really shady character is Aramis. He's secretive to the point of being untrustworthy. He's selfish and self-absorbed. I know that Athos can be a bit priggish and his "Holier than thou" attitude does get up my nose sometimes. Even so, Aramis is the one that I like least, the one that deserves the criticism. <br> I've read the first three of the D'artagnen books now: "The Three Musketeers", "Twenty Years Later" and "The Visconte of Braglonne" but I seem to have found another one. It's called "The Son of Porthos". Has anybody else come across this and is it really written by Dumas? Please tell me if you know!

Kelsey
06-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I go back and forth on who is better. I like Aramis because he seems to be more spiritual even NICER, but I think Athos represents the author's vision of a great man. One thing is certain, though, and that is that Portos sucks.

the musketeer
10-08-2005, 04:05 AM
I also think that Aramis Rocks!
He is so cool!

Milouise
10-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I have read these books several times, and every time I seem to fall back on Athos as my favourite character. Why? I haven't a clue. Perhaps it is that he is the most secretive of the four, the one with the darkest secrets. In a way, I also think he seems the most human - he has obvious depressions and he drinks to dull the pain in his heart. He is cold when it comes to his wife and her death, but he also shows how capable he is of love, both in regard to d'Artagnan and his friends, but also in subsequent books in regard to his son.

When I think on it though, the one with the ultimate secret is really Porthos - what is his background? Where does he go when he's short of funds? - we don't really get an answer to that in the books. He is the real enigma. We know where Aramis comes from and why he is a musketeer, but Porthos?

I do believe I need to finish my umpteenth reading now... Next time, I'm thinking about reading them online and in English - all previous times have been in Swedish and French (a very simplified version to accomodate my skills in French).

Be Safe!

Milouise

MadameGascon
10-31-2005, 06:04 AM
Hmm, I say they are all my favourite, there's things about all of them that I love!

D'Artagnan - the way that he defends the woman he loves and that he would go to the end of the world to get her or save her etc, all that heoric love stuff I love!

Athos - his secretive ways, his drinkin (I think everybody can relate to that in some way or another, whether it be drink or any other source of getting over something depressing in your life), the way in which he is so protective of D'Artagnan like he is his own sone etc

Porthos - his arrogancy, the way in which he speaks is just full of joy and merriment, and everything he says makes you laugh, he makes a bad situation into a more funny one, quote from when D'Artgnan is away to due with Athos, then the Cardinal's guards turn up to arrest them for duelling "Of course we are going to resist, just give us a moment", I thought that quote in the film and book were hilarious, it cracks me up everytime I read or hear it.

Aramis - his poetic view on life and how he is dedicated to being a priest but yet he still feels he has to defend his country, he's a man of honour, treats women with respect and not just as a thing.

Ah you get the idea, I will stop now!