PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Francois Palmier
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
The musketeers that are portrayed in the movie are the Kings Royal guard. These men stayed at the castle and guarded the king. There were about 50 to 60 men. They were kept in much finer clothing than the infantry only because they were always with the king. I have seen some documentation on the tabards they wore with the Royal Cross. If you have seen the man in the Iron mask the long black, blue, and red cloaks they wear are accurate. The Royal Cross with the sun in it is also correct. King Louie ad <br>them made up for the uniforms. His fathers uniforms were also similar but Louie made some distinctive changes as you see in the movie. The uniforms very between Louis XIII, and Louis XIV. Pike men were regular infantry. The Infantry musketeers only wore Shirt pants with knee stockings an armor helmet or a wide brim hat so when they shot three muskets they would tilt the head and block the flash from the gun so they wouldn't burn there face. Some men were still wearing armor breast plat. <br><br><br>

Margot
03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Thank you so much! That was really helpful! Another question: would they also have uniform suits under their cloaks like they do in the Man in the Iron Mask? And just to make sure, all of the musketeers had to be noblemen, right? Would you have to reload a musket after each time you fire it? How would you earn an officer's commission in the king's musketeers? Would you just have to prove yourself or would you have to pay money, too? Just a few questions and it'd be wonderful if you could oblige.

Margot
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Um, to the knowledgable person who knows all about musketeers and responded to my "swordeteers" entry: Did the musketeers actually have uniforms? because if you read different translations, some say that their uniforms were really nice while others say that simply their clothes were nice. So which is it? I read in a book that musketeers did not have uniforms until the 18th century but Dumas says that they had uniforms. but then Dumas also has a reputation for twisting history for his benefit<br>Also, if they did have uniforms, did they look like they do in the movies?