PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Uric
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Not at all do not forget "society" was very supressing in those times..if you know where we are going with that subject. A brave swashbuckling black man at that era was more unlikely than what society made him to be by repressing education. So I feel Dumas made an honorable character breakdown of Porthos if he was representing his dad. Reality and what he wish or / how his father actually was but it is not a sad rep but good writing. We all wish to be the anti hero with some ability to kick ***.! Who is Woody Allen?

Kelley
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Well, actually, parts of the Caribbean, such as Martinique and Guadeloupe, actually are French Departments and Dumas (Senior and Junior- father and son wrote those books...odd really!) was actually a French citizen! So, it's not COMPLETELY random that Alexandre Dumas (Sr.) decided to write about French musketeers (Who actually didn't use guns very much in the story... did anybody else notice that?) because, being from Martinique, he was French!!

Margot
04-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Why are you asking me who Woody Allen is, Mr. Uric? Or are you sighting him as the cool anti-hero? And he is very cool, don't get me wrong! And a far cry from the three musketeers, let me tell you! He'd probably make some bizarre wise crack like: "Political statements? Oh yes, I've made those. Once I refused to eat grapes for a whole 24 hour period."

Tuey
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Kelley I see where you are coming from.... but as far as Margot your honestly the biggest loser out there! Like what the hell man... If you are going to spend your time making fun of someones reply, at least make it good!

Margot
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Did you know that Dumas was part African? So we've got this part African guy who grew up in the Caribbean and decided to write a book about French musketeers? Is that totally random or what?<br>And then, I read that he patterned the character, Porthos, after his own father. That's kind of sad. I mean, he portrays Porthos, though brave, as kind of stupid and slow. Is this some kind of suppressed feeling about his father?