PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece in every sense

Cecilia
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Although it is true that Dickens says in twenty words thing that could be expressed just as clearly in only five, there can be no arguing that he is an expert in manipulating his reader’s feelings. “David Copperfield”, telling the story of his life, shows this skill of his writer really well. This book will make you cry in one chapter and laugh out loud in the next one. Dickens will also make his reader feel about his characters just as he wants you to feel about them. You’ll never forget the cruel Murdstones, “ ‘umble” Uriah Heep, angel-like Agnes and adorable though rather silly Dora. In addition to these memorable characters, I think all its readers will agree that “David Copperfield” is a complete work in every sense and I’m sure many of them will count it among their favourites.

pvpham
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
User deleted.

mono
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Indeed, out of many of Dickens' novels (the ones I have read, anyway), David Copperfield seemed to have very distinguished characters with vastly different personalities clashing constantly.
Out of all of the books I have read, I found Uriah Heep among some of the most detestable fictional characters. The unreliable label of calling himself " 'umble" subtracted far from actual humbleness. Dora frustrated me now and then, but, if in reality, I think I would have seen her as an amusing person; and Agnes fascinated me.

Bianca Fransen
07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Absolutely l-o-v-e-d David Copperfield.. but should read it again to be able to join in this conversation :goof:. Always have trouble remembering names..

pvpham
07-13-2005, 05:20 PM
User deleted.

pvpham
07-14-2005, 07:23 PM
User deleted.

2hotinhere
07-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Although it is true that Dickens says in twenty words thing that could be expressed just as clearly in only five, there can be no arguing that he is an expert in manipulating his reader’s feelings. “David Copperfield”, telling the story of his life, shows this skill of his writer really well. This book will make you cry in one chapter and laugh out loud in the next one. Dickens will also make his reader feel about his characters just as he wants you to feel about them. You’ll never forget the cruel Murdstones, “ ‘umble” Uriah Heep, angel-like Agnes and adorable though rather silly Dora. In addition to these memorable characters, I think all its readers will agree that “David Copperfield” is a complete work in every sense and I’m sure many of them will count it among their favourites.

I don't think it can be better said then what you just wrote :)
I adore Anges with all my heart, and I believe it was Dicken wordiness that made the characters and their emotions seem so much more real.