PDA

View Full Version : life lessons

A. Foster
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
For me there were two life lessons learned, or reinforced, in the reading Sense and Sensibility. (Actually there are many more lessons, life skills, etc. found in the book.) <br><br>First of all, the character of Marianne learned that the secret to finding one's happiness is in creating it for, and giving happiness to another. And poor Willoughby, try as he might, could not escape his past, and only hurt himself and others by trying to hide it. This book has a fascinating, detailed writing style, colorful characterizations, and no movie could possibly ever do it justice. Wonderful.

Aeonna
09-04-2005, 01:56 PM
True, the films seldom live up to the book, but I think there have been several good series based on Jane Austen's books.

elinor_dashwood
01-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I used to be a huge fan on the movie and not very appreciative of the novel, but since rereading Sense and Sensibility recently I have been blown away by Austen's wittiness and depth. I am still an enormous fan of the movie but adore the book. Reading the book has also enhanced the movie because I realized how many quotes Emma incorporated into the screenplay and there are little details that only a reader would notice and appreciate. The two compliment each other very well.

Matrim Cuathon
02-14-2007, 07:43 AM
well, i just read this book yesterday and it was almost as good as emma. they both seem to have as a fairly important part people with secret engagements although the one in SS was broken off.