PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Andrea
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Though this book was written a long time ago, its society and manners being very different from the present, it still holds a lot of meaning and understanding of human nature that appeals to all generations at any point in time.<br><br> Though I love all the characters very fondly, I especially like the prtrayal of Elinor. Even though she appears more divine than human, her words and deeds put in front of us the ideal way to deal with the harsh realities of life.<br>To express one's grief in troubled times is but quite natural, but to assist another to comfort inspite of one's affliction is indeed heroic. Her own heartbroken state due to Edward did not prevent her from comforting her sister Marianne after she was deserted by Willoughby. She understood that Marianne needed all the support she could get from her loved ones to heal her from her present affliction. Hence, Elinor gave herself wholly to nursing her sister back to health even though the memory of Edward gave her a huge amount of suffering. In the end she was well rewarded with Edward asking for her hand in marriage.<br><br> As for Marianne, under the loving care and guidance of her sister she too learned to appreciate and respect true love by accepting Colonel Brandon's propsal and to govern her feelings and emotions for the benifit of her own self and for those who love her to no end.<br><br> Jane Austen's book has given us a wide range of characters to reflect upon. Perhaps we might find them in some degree of similarity with those whom we meet quite often, considering there are a good amount of noble characters such as Elinor, Edward and Colonel Brandon and also if not bad then selfish characters such as Willoughby and Lucy.<br><br> This book is a pleasure to read for all the right purposes of gaining knowledge about the manners and society of 18th century England and also for the joy of simple reading. I would strongly recommend this book as a must for those in want of good humour together with genorous inputs of wit and satire.<br><br>

elinor_dashwood
02-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree completely!!!

Matrim Cuathon
02-18-2007, 08:29 AM
yeah, this book had some humour and also the more serious emotions. its sometimes fun, if im bored at a given time, to compare the chracters from this and other Austen novels to people i know. minus the manners of course. dont know anyone with those. :)