PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

helen
03-05-2003, 02:00 AM
As soon as I read your comment I thought of my brother who said something very similar 55 years ago. Whoever you are please trust me and if you wish please try to do this:- Firstly get into your very comfy clothes PJ's or whatever. Sit in a comfy chair and just let your mind relax. Open S&S and do not read the forwards or notes, just start at chapter one and really relax and imagine that in those times people like that pretty much were real. I am almost sure that if you give it a chance you will find the novel has improved on 2nd chance. Also hire the video of S&S. As usual it is somewhat different but enough the same as the novel to give you a greater interest. If this is a novel you need to study this is your best bet. I hope you don't think I am being too bossy and I really wish you well.

Unregistered
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
i used to not like it too. but i'm doing it for my lit class and over time it grows on you. trust me, you'll learn to appreciate it. just do what the previous reply suggested and let the words flow and capture u into another world.

daf
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, when I read your comment I though you are a complete moron, illiterate uncultivated and dumb... Sorry honey but when did you say you finished elementary school?

Taka
04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
"Petty?" "Unrealistic?" "Annoying?" Jane Austen's novels are the stuff that today's cheap, trashy, and pseudo-romantic movies are made of. (Please excuse my dangling participle). She paints an accurate picture of society and the relationships between the sexes during the late 18th and early 19th century. All the drama we view and experience today is outlined in her novels, it is just worded differently. I mean, there's lust, greed, sex out of wedlock, infidelity, and illegitimate children. Believe it or not, its like an older and more creative version of Melrose Place.

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I thought this book was extremely petty, unrealistic and overall ANNOYING... UGH I could hardly finish it. <br>

quoththeraven98
09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I found it was a lot easier to listen to the audio book. Being able to hear the emotion in the voice made it much more bareable.