PDA

View Full Version : English

Shandi
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is a very good book if I had the time to read this book again then I would, I would suggest this book to mostly girls because I think girls would<br>be more interested in this book. Because it is kind of a love story. In a way.<br> PEACE OUT !

geez
10-06-2005, 09:25 AM
This is a passage from Emma:

"there was some satisfaction in considering with what self-denying, generous friendship she had always wished and promoted the match; but it was a black morning's work for her."

Does anyone know what is "a black morning's work "?
I'd very appreciate any explaination of this expression.

el01ks
10-21-2005, 06:11 AM
It means that it was bad for Emma.

geez
11-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I just took a peek of your public profile, and you said your favorate book is Pride and Prejudice. So it's not that you don't like Austen's writing; you don't like Emma the character, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ha! I didn't know that was your signature. So you didn't mean we should throw this book with force!

Matrim Cuathon
02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
This is a very good book if I had the time to read this book again then I would, I would suggest this book to mostly girls because I think girls would<br>be more interested in this book. Because it is kind of a love story. In a way.<br> PEACE OUT !

i find this comment offensive. i think that cnsidering it a female book is very ignorant/immature. certainly the fact that i read just about anything as long as i find it intelligent might make me different from normal male readers, but i still think that the theme in the book and the comments on human nature make it unimportant in regards to the gender of the reader.

chunwing
05-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Matrim - I agree with you in that I think Emma is much more than a love story. In fact, the love story was a very weak part of the novel - the way Knightley tells Emma off, she goes through this self-discovery process and the result of that is she falls in love with Knightley??? I didn't like that part at all. I thought the themes around social conventions/social order/importance of marriage are much more valuable than the love theme in this novel. Pride and Prejudice would be a much more "girly" book in comparison.

Sir Bartholomew
07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
i'm thinking about it, but no. it doesn't come close to a sleazy Harlequin pocketbook.

Berkay0652
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
The book includes this sentence: "It was, indeed, a highly-prized letter. Mrs. Weston had, of course, formed a very favourable idea of the young man; and such a pleasing attention was an irresistible proof of his great good sense, and a most welcome addition to every source and every expression of congratulation which her marriage had already secured"

How can we simplify the part "and a most welcome addition to every source and every expression of congratulation which her marriage had already secured"? What does that mean otherwise? Thanks. :)