PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Lolita Chatterly
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM
I was forced to read Jane Austen as a schoolboy and found that it was extremely boring, the summation about "going to each other's houses" above just about sums it up. It would not have been so bad if I was not tested on this drivel, the results of which were to determine whether society classed me as intelligent or stupid for the rest of my life. I was at the time reading the works of the great Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, wherein The Silver Surfer (Mr Darcy the ultimate romantic hero? Bah humbug) battled Galactus for the future of Earth, so naturally this unimaginative tosh did not engage my interest one iota. I suppose people have every right to find this bunkum interesting if they so desire but what I truly object to is having been classified "stupid" merely because it did not engage my interest and I therefore failed Eng Lit exams.

Unregistered
01-22-2005, 11:56 PM
This comment is expressed in a very real way, it engages the attention of those who may read it and is short and precicely to the point. The point is stated quite obviously and gives one who may be interested in reading this novel a clear view of other perspectives of this novel.

Gwenivere
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
No offense to any great lover of Jane Austen, but I find this book and many of her others, extremely boring. The books are mostly gossip, scheming, and meticulous dialogue (which I must admit is very skillfully crafted to fit the times), but very little plot. The main action involves moving about to one another's houses, where they engage in the three previously mentioned cornerstones of the book.