PDA

View Full Version : A Simple review

Violet
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
'Emma' seemed quite a dull book to me when i read it first time round, but at my second attempt, i found all of the underlying meanings and humour; although i still feel that Austen does make too much of some scenes in the novel, which perhaps could have done with less detail. Nether the less, 'Emme' is a great novel.

wtwt5237
07-09-2007, 11:00 AM
'Emma' seemed quite a dull book to me when i read it first time round, but at my second attempt, i found all of the underlying meanings and humour.
For example?

worddance
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Violet,

I agree. I love the humor in Emma. (I can't remember any specifics at the moment and I don't have the book with me.) A lot of the detail is because the book was written in the 19th century when people had more patience and wanted more detail. The good news is that it gives us a chance to look back and get a feel for what life was like back then.

Sir Bartholomew
08-12-2007, 08:45 PM
i don't think that the novel suffers that much about details. in fact, if you compare it to other realists's novels (Dreiser's and Maugham's), Emma's pretty tame on that one. that's what i like about Jane Austen, actually, that she relies more on character and dialogue than on descriptions of scenes, things, wardrobe, hairdo etc.

sabe35
10-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Violet,

it gives us a chance to look back and get a feel for what life was like back then.

I find the way of life back then interesting, especially the slow pace. Probably because we race through life without 'smelling the roses'.