PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
What books did the monster read in order to become intelligent?

meredith_w20
08-22-2005, 09:08 PM
There are several books he reads, but the most frequently referred to is Milton's Paradise Lost.

Hope this helps!

mscolansfav
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Reading books was not the main way that the monster had learned speech. The book describes the monster learning to speak through observation. I think this played a much bigger role than the books did because language gave him a way to communicate. I think that the books helped the monster to develop his own ideas and thoughts about the world. I definitely think that it is safe to say that reading the books help lead the monster on his quest for vengeance against Victor. It was almost ironic that the monster was able to learn speech so easily when Safie was being taught after arriving from a foreign land. It makes it seem too convinient for the monster and i'm still confused about how the monster was able to become almost equally as intelligent as Victor within only a few years of even being created.

optimisticnad
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
He read three didn't he? One being Paradise Lost, cant remember the others but I should find out as I have to do either a feminist or marxist criticism of Frankenstein. Any ideas>