PDA

View Full Version : The True Monster

Adam
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
One of the greatest 'Monsters' in Frankenstein is not Victor, Society or the Creature itself but the whole book.<br>It was almost unheard of for women to write this type of novel in the 18th century- the book is therfore a 'weird' one.<br>It is made up of pieces of many different texts, for example with large references to Miltons Paradise Lost.<br>Finally the book presents an idea to society which was scary and insulting to them- an 'ugly picture'.<br>Therefore the book meets all requirements to be classified as a 'Monster' itself!

mscolansfav
04-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree with you to some extent because Frankenstein makes many references throughout the text to many different pieces of writing. One, like you said being Paradise Lost, as well as Dante's Inferno, Faust, and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I like your metaphor about the book being a monster that's very clever. I think you should give Mary Shelley some credit for having the courage to write a book like this. Shelley was one of the first to break out of the traditional gothic style mold and take a risk no one else was willing to take. Shelley definitely was a talented writer with the way she was able to incorporate all of these stories into her own. I like the point you made but i dont think you should be too critical without considering all the hardship Shelley had endured during her lifetime.