PDA

View Full Version : Great Book

SLiGH
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I love this book, for its subtly and political satire and thematic concerns. Reading over some of these comemnts though, I decided I should state my opinion. It seems to me it's a little too easy to say that "everything Orwell said has come true...WE ARE BIG BROTHER", and all of that.<br><br>I would argue instead that regardless of the technological capability we may have to emulate the all-encompassing surveillence of Orwell's police state, we do not yet have that sort of total subjegation. We should not ignore this work's powerful implications, but at the same time let's not exaggerate the state of our own times. Our government, while certainly large, centralized, and powerful, is not yet totalitarian in the correct sense of the word. <br><br>To finish up quickly, as I don't want to bore anyone--the machinery is in place, but we have yet to encounter a man on par with Lenin or Castro to seize it. We may have set ourselves up for despotism, but let's remember that regardless of the various imperfections our society has, we have not reached the point of inevitable stasis. There are some of you who are too quick to draw unilateral paralells between Oceana, Eurasia, and Eastasia, and the US, Russia, and China. You're neglecting the rest of the world, an outside world that was subjegated or destroyed by warfare in 1984. So in conclusion: A great work, a provocative message, but we must not let ourselves wallow in the supposed disutopia of our own times. There is still (always) hope.<br><br>-SLiGH