PDA

View Full Version : 1984

John William Vondra
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
A great read and a great book. Read it over a dozen times and each time is better than the last. It was required reading for a post-grad class at UNO and the prof made a excellent choice. Many and most people see the book as a commentary on the USSR or China or even the good ole USA. <br><br>Me I see it as a history of England after the revolt against the Pope by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. And how the evil started by those two have spread the whole world over. <br><br>Some of my reasons are; the references to the Bells, the name Parsons, Goldstein, Smith (slang for Black in English, Smithfield market the grounds on which many Catholic martyrs were slain, Julia, Big Brother, the brotherhood, re-writing all of the history books and everyday things to the elimination of all references to The Catholic Church, To make a new language to replace the words that were used by and in reference to The Church, To create a new religion, the all powerful State as the political as well as the religious ruler, with the power to dispense both heaven (to a few of the inner-party and to some extent the proles and purgatory or hell to the rest.<br><br>There are many more reasons and if you wish to find them re-read with the thought in mind that it is a history of England (and all English speakning countries)since 1535.<br><br>'Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St Clement's!'<br><br><br>'I know that building,' said Winston finally. 'It's a ruin<br>now. It's in the middle of the street outside the Palace of<br>Justice.'<br> <br>'That's right. Outside the Law Courts. It was bombed in, oh, many <br>years ago. It was a church at one time, St Clement Danes, its <br>name was.' He smiled apologetically, as though conscious of <br>saying something slightly ridiculous, and added:<br><br>'Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St Clement's!'<br><br>