PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Ella
04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
'Thoughts are weapons'<br>But doesn't BB use thoughts against Winston in 1984? It was by getting into his mind that he made Winston commit the crimes and go against BB to a great extent in the first place, was it not? <br>I thought that 1984 showed that you cannot escape BB- we can't have our free thought, therefore we have no freedom.<br><br>Am i wrong, do you think?

james
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
how can we protest against anything if we dont even have the necessary weapon to do so? words are thoughts and therefore weapons. I come from a country where the people are stopped from protesting against the misery that surrounds us. the means of communication pollute people's mind with poor thoghts not letting them figure out that they have the right to seek for their happiness. once I asked a student of mine the reason why he was alive and he didn't know how to answer me. When I first read George Orwell's 1984 I got depressed beacause I could see my own country (Brasil) in that situation. I'm not talking about tecnology but about being controlled by the means of communication...everyone has the same ideas and share the same opnions. how can that be if we are so big? my people seems to go numb to the problems we have and we dont do anything to change our situation, nobody is brave enough to commit a thoghtcrime! I hope one day we change so that one day we will be able to live in peace with our own people.