PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Cristache
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Some years ago I watched “Animal Farm”, a film after Orwell’s homonymous fable. I was impressed then by the accuracy in which he depicted the evolution of the former USSR, much before its collapse. <br><br>Recently, I have read some comments on his “Nineteen Eighty-Four”, featuring it as a description of life under an imaginary, totalitarian, regime, based on terror. I had doubts that such a clever writer like Orwell would loose his time for something to far from his real life. Surely he had something more to say to us. Any good writer has something to say.<br><br>Finally, I have just read the novel, and came to the conviction that I was right. Those comments were some superficial ones, because they did not see beyond the metaphor. (Even some comments here show merely the authors’ fear that the authorities might penetrate into their intimacy.) The political regime was the frame of the action, and remained unchanged from the beginning to the end. The action refers the hero, Winston Smith. He is the one who changes his feelings, and from a rebel he becomes a placid man, indifferent face to politics. His hate face to Big Brother turns into love. But, during the action, he had many opportunities to discern between what is important for his life and what is not, what is worthy enough to sacrifice for. Finally he saw that love was the last thing that remained to him. But the Though Police knew and ravished him this last refuge. Only then Winston became a placid man, consuming the rest of his life in a pub.<br><br>Now, the question is how many people are in the same position? How many from our fellows are placid and indifferent to politics? I am afraid that too many. Why? It seems that that terrible totalitarian regime is on us for a very long time. So long that we already got accustomed with it! Orwell exaggerated from literary reasons, but in fact he only changed the means in which the politicians control our lives.<br><br><br><br>