PDA

View Full Version : whoa

krazy1669
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Who does Emmanuel Goldstein represent in this book?

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Although i believe that Andrew has made some interesting points, it is clear that his reading of the text is fairly GCSE, clearly an American answer, Orwell didnt comment on America, because there was no need, it didnt matter where the novel was set, it was a statement on Communism and the Totalitarian state that he felt would ultimatly come from Communism.<br><br>I didnt really understand the last comment on the fact that 'i tell you we are there and we will keep advancing until the government gets there'. What does that mean? We are where and where are we going to keep advancing?<br><br>But there is no need to worry Andrew, i am sure your children will never grow up in a world full of telescreens, in much the same way as i sincerely doubt that there will be thought police monitoring them.

Andrew
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I believe that during the times of intolerance in our country we should feel obligated to read. When i heard about the theorys upon this book that it was human races future or the way we live now. When i opened this book i was suprised to see that we are there now. I do enjoy this book souly upon the fact that it is very well written and it makes you think. I would look up and think if i was in this position would i survive. And i thaught absolutley. Why? Because i think that in winstons position which is a normal person, who does a normal job, with a normal life. He dosent know anything else he doesnt know his future or his past. All he Knows is what is pumped into him by the party. <br> Bieng like me i think that big brother is a way of tall telling the actual history of the party. I dont know about you guys but i thaught how they never mentioned anyother country is a tad strange because what would happen to america or would we just melt into the ways of oceania. My answer to this was the time the book was written. Right after WWII in which Big Brother looks just like Adolf Hitler and how there is a symbol and symbols to oceania. But then when you look at history what would happen if germany did win the war? Would Japan and germany duke it out because to germany the japanesse were some what different the Germanys vision of an Aryain race.<br> But to all those who would find Big brother evil or cruel or a bad way to live i tell you we are there and we will keep advancing until the government gets there especially with the terrorist attacks, the racial and the sexual inequalitys in the world and i hope that my childern can grow up in a world free of the telescreen and big brother and i will fight to make sure that never happens