PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Dave
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I believe the point made in the story was the complete urbanization of the population. There were no outlying towns to really speak of that you could enjoy in peace. It was simply concrete and telescreens for all people.

Sir Walter Raleighette
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I think the fact that Winston could not remember his past or his mother at the beginning of the story is critical. Living in a society that destroys all history and the memories of a man is horrifying. In a sense, the party could control the minds' of the citizens not only at the end of the story but also at the beginning.<br><br>Also I wonder what life in oceania would have been like living in a small town. Can Big Brother and the Inner Party members really have this much control over this many millions and billions of people? Even though the story is slightly far fetched, it really makes a person wonder whether our society is really headed this way. What really hits us the hardest is the fact that in the back of our minds we actually know that it could indeed happen. We just arent aware of how soon it will.