PDA

View Full Version : ...Puh-leeze!...

Unregistered
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
No, this book has the effect and you must read between the lines to see the effect becasue that is what a author bases his book on. <br><br>I'd like to see you in Room 101! Can you handle it? After all BIg Brother is Wathing You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cadenza
09-13-2003, 01:00 AM
I would have to disagree...<br><br>I read this novel in 8th grade middle school, and I must say, it had quite an impact on me. The effect is not lost, though. I simply believe that we are too lazy to do anything about it, not that we're actively not finding ways to prohibit current insurrections of freedom. Just too lazy to stop it. Yeah, sure, we can wave little american flags though, heh. How many muscles does it take to flick the wrist, after all?

Grammar B****
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I agree. If we ever end up in a place like Oceana it will be because of apathy. We don't try anymore. Few bother to check facts before diseminating false information, which is resulting in real-life revisionist history. The thing about 1984 is that, yes it is a car alarm that we can no longer hear . . . meanwhile, someone really is breaking into the car.

Cuyahogen
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
1984 is a great book, but it is not prophetic. The original title was to be '1948'; Orwell was not predicting the future, he was describing the present as he saw it at the time.<br><br>It is worth reading Anthony Burgess's criticism '1985' for a more detailed examination of Orwell's book. Burgess does try prediction in a later section, but should have remembered that no-one can predict the future.

David
05-29-2004, 01:00 AM
I agree with cadenza in that we are too lazy to stop our privacy being taken over. Granted, there are groups out there opposing these databases, bills, and black boxes, but they are few and far between. I know that I personally oppose the DMCA, but I haven't - nor will I - give any funds to support an anti-DMCA group. The most I have done is sign my name on to a petition to get the government to rethink it. Why? Because I am your standard lazy American. I talk the talk. I will put forth the effort to sign my name, but when it comes to acually doing something, I doubt I will come to a point where I actually have the motivation to put forth the effort.

Jennifer
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I think the effect of "1984" has been to make people who read the book think about issues like privacy and the influence of government and media in our lives. Every time I hear a statistic about how our lives are getting better I think about how people in the book are always been told that the chocolate ration is going up when actually it is going down. I really think it's a great book, a classic of the 20th century that is still very well read. Some good information can be found about the book here: http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/novels.htm I can't believe how young Orwell was when he died. Poor guy never really got to see what the effect of the book would be. //Jen\\

Tim
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I think you make a really good point. The fact that so many people find the connection between Big Brother and our current state of government, yet don't do anything about it is just ridiculous. More people should be aware of the fact that with knowledge comes responsibility and that its not enough just to know...we must DO.

Kyle
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
this is a very good book. im in gr.12 and i think it is the best one i have ever read. if anyone doesn't like this they a a very wierd selection of books (my opinion)

Questioner
06-09-2004, 01:00 AM
¿How are people supposed to prevent the rise of a Big Brother if there's already a -huge- population neatly trained in doublethink? Just *hinting* that there was no reason to (say) invade Iraq promptly triggers stopcrime. Look at all the inmediate derison that the celebrities that condemned US military action in Bagdad brought upon themselves ("traaaaitors"). It's "Two Minutes Hate" in real, live action...

hopefully anonymous
02-05-2005, 09:04 PM
You are absolutly right.<br>The western society leaded by the US is slowely becoming wat Orwell warned us for. Embracing the war against terrorism, national securety, fear an hatred goverments are able to do everything and noone will do anything. Now the prols have fallen asleep the getto`s are producing R@B that is full of undirected hatred, because they don`t rebember who is responsble for there poverty. Education is so expensive many can`t afford it. The next generation will be so unknowing that they can`t express themselves in much more than the word ****. Yes they will be very limited in thought. The "middle" suburban people are so afraid of partly non existing demons they buy more and more guns wich leads to more and more shooting and even more fear. Privacy is something of the past since the patriot act and securety camera`s. If you go into a shop and you buy a book or a cd the goverment will record this. If you demonstrated against the invasion of Iraq you are on the black list of the fbi and the cia. And I wonder if there will be any real elections this year, well it won`t really mater as the democrats and republicans are both payed by the same companies and will only do what is good for them and not for the people.<br>Orwell wrote about a society based opon fear, hatred and war well for that part it`s already here. Hopefully someone will rise and show the prols the truth, as all hope lies in the prols.

Candycane
02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
i cant believe any of u like this book. It may be amazing because it is soo prophetic..but if u look at the basics, its really quiet boring, stupid, and annoying! It may be written by an amazing writer but i have to say that i hated this book with a pasion! If you want to read a good book read War & Peace.....Yes it may be in a nother class of literature, but just the same you can find that you will enjoy this book much more and get lost in the amazing details! All i found 1984 did was give me a big headache, that wasnt even worth any of the pain!

Unregistered
02-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Why does that guy's post remind me of english class?

BIG MO
03-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Very True, I totally agree, we should do something!

John
04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes it seems that most or all of us can see some if not complete similarities between Big Brother and our government, and yes Americans are too lazy to do anything about it. But that's because it all happened so slowly, if the same laws applied now as they did in 1950, and yesterday they told us we'd have all the current laws tomorrow. There would be a riot. It's the whole "Just get them used to it first, then boil the water" mentality. They're trying to contol us all and they'll kill or jail anyone who goes against them. YOU ALREADY LIVE IN OCEANA. If you don't beleive me, go into a public store and do something you think a FREE person could do. You'll get arrested. Seriously. <br>

Alina
04-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Dang, you`re right, Questioner! Whatever Bush or media say, Americans believe it and go after it like a herd of sheep. I am not American and I don't believe it. Besides, you can <br>1) Really think about it and come to a conclusion that either agrees or disagrees with what you hear/read;<br>2) Get info from a source that has proved to be right.<br><br>Gotta shed some light on you Americans before I go, please don't take it the wrong way, I'm just trying to help. Y'all think that Bush "protects" you by passing laws like the"Patriot" Act. From what should you be protected? Oh yeah, from terrorists, suuure! This reminds me of the cold war when herds of people (yes, I wanted to say "herds") were hiding in bomb shelters because someone has told them that Russians are going to attack any time. Did any of those people use the theory from above? I don't think so, otherwise they wouldn't be in those shelters. Just think: why would Russians attack you? Don't know? That's why you should think!<br><br>Sorry, gotta go.<br>For further discussion (if you want any) write to my e-mail.

Zappadoo
04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Vico, a long-dead Italian, noted that history moves in cycles-- the ages of Gods, Heroes, and Men. The last results in Chaos and of course the re-ordering.. Have we overcome this? Are we stuck in a cycle and merely believe the modern all-seeing state triumphant?<br><br>

juggy
04-27-2005, 10:49 AM
We do live an ever increasingly big brother state, but what to do about it? Even as I type, this may be recorded, and I may be targeted by the 'thought police'!!! We need an entirely new system of government, with actual accountability. Orwell knew this. His book is MORE relevent today than it has ever been.

PatriotDuck
04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Sorry you all. This whole idea of the PatriotAct, etc. being evil and John Ashcroft is the devil, illuminati crap shoes just how ignorant quite a few of you are. Orwell did not write this book as the leftist diatribe you have made it. Welcome to the real world....and grow up.

Gwynn
04-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I HAVEN'T read this book, and only know the basic premise of the story. Having said that, I must agree with the "car alarm" theory. Yes, SOME people hear it, and sadly they will ignore it. I also agree with the "lazy" theory. It's easier to ***** about something, than to get off the couch and DO something.<br>But mostly I think that it hurts the psyche of the American people to think that their government means them harm. Easier to see the "terrorism" as Islamic Extremeism. Easier to believe the rest of the world is "jealous" of the USA. Easier to think that the problems we have in the US, and the NEED for the Patriot Act, and "beefed up" security, are made by outside influences.<br>Easier than TAKING THE RESPONSIBILITY of putting these criminals (both past and present) in office. Ultimately the blame goes to us..........And yes, Big Brother is watching, and has been for a VERY long time.

Aurgil
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I would like to point out something to Sleeve98. You have said that the reason this book has become prophetic is, and I quote "These things are happening because YOU are letting them", you seem to imply that you somehow are.<br><br>I'd also like to point out that the majority of the human population is 'trained' from birth not to question, not to think, just to do what they're told.<br><br>Unfortunatly, the exceptions to this are few and usually in small degrees. They also tend to be looked down upon as 'weird'.<br><br>The people reading this book, looking at it here, and resonding to it with comments are the ones who would do something, the weird ones.<br>THe mindless rabble just looks at what just happened and responds with fear, in that particular instance.<br><br>For those who enjoyed/liked/other synomym this book, I also reccomend Farenheight 451.

Sleeve98
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
"Oh, this is a GREAT novel," "how prophetic," "THEY didn't want you to read it," etc., ad nauseum...<br><br>1984 IS a great book. It IS prophetic.<br><br>But it's a car alarm.<br><br>Considering the current social climate, one can't help but make that comparison.<br><br>Sure the car alarm is a nifty thing, but who's paying attention to it?<br><br>Exactly no one.<br><br>Homeland Security, with its Total Information Awareness database, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids treating with your own property as you wish, government-approved spying on consumers by corporations - foreign AND abroad - the GPS-capable black boxes installed in all new automobiles . . .<br><br>These things are happening because YOU are letting them. Those who would presume to select our leaders for us would spew its propaganda that gets more and more outrageous every day - and the public nods obediently, "habilitates" its thought processes and shakes its fists at those who "hate freedom."<br><br>Don't crow on about the impact this book has had - judging by the complete capitulation of the lemming-like mob mentality, it has failed its mission to motivate. The eternal price of freedom is vigilance, and those who unquestioningly swallow the Party's line, despite their perceived cleverness in finding a relation to Big Brother within our government, have fallen asleep on the job.<br><br>Shut up and go DO something - A N Y T H I N G but nothing.