PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Lose your mind

Unregistered
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Uzicide... they didn't have Sex... it was prohibited, remember?<br>As for what else do you need? Some of us have a need of privacy. Others, like myself have a need for guns... I like guns... and knives and bows and old kung-fu movies... I have a burning desire for old kung-fu movies.<br>

Feeling Mean Today
04-17-2003, 01:00 AM
From your comment I detect a literalist view of the world belieing a failure of imagination. Of course it was a literal exageration, that is what fiction does, duh! The real genius is in looking at what he wrote that has come true today which is the definition of 'prophetic' writting. Thank you for modeling the truth within this slogan. I say this with some malice but hey! I'm only human too and am sure you'll understand given your willingness to do the same.<br><br>;)<br><br>

Uzicide
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
1984 was a book meant to warn us on the affects of totaltarian government. And, believe it or not. it worked! The country was shocked to read this bleak and morbid "HYPERBOLE" of the nation's future. It was a well writen book on a nightmare had by one of the world's best novelists. That is it. I recently saw a poll that 55% of the people that read 1984 believe that it is entirerly possible that our society would reflect the one depicted in the book. So, 55% of you out there really need to wake up. But, lets suppose that it does happen. Lets suppose that the government does spend over a trillion dollars putting telescreens everywhere and moniter the population 24/7. Life is too short to waste time worrying over it. At least the citizens of Oceania had three of the best things of life: Gin, Cigarettes, and Sex. What more do you need.

Nerd
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I think that it could happen, but not on a literal level. Maybe those 55% believe that the government will pry into their lives without the use of telescrenes, and the 'prophecy' will have come true. Maybe they aren't the ones who need to wake up.

NewWorldOrder
09-15-2005, 01:20 PM
>At least the citizens of Oceania had three of the best things of life: Gin, Cigarettes, and Sex. What more do you need.

Right what else do you need :)

I would rather say that 1984 avoid you to see something else: covert dictature.