PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Unregistered
09-23-2002, 01:00 AM
I've read this book twice, along with other stories that are similar such as Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World. I came to find this site because my high school sophomore english class is doing research on banned books. I loved this book and I found it preposterous that people ban books that have story lines which could very well happen. They're censoring books that are anti-censorship. 1984 was very anti-censorship in that even the people couldn't think what they wanted to. Censorship is meaningless. If you tell someone they can't read something, the first thing they're going to do it pick up the book and read it. I am lucky enough to attend a school that doen't ban any books. Our movies are being banned though. Our principal recently decided that nothing PG-13 or a higher rating could be shown--in a high school where everyone is 14 or older? They show elementary kids PG-13 movies in third grade. Censorship, restriction, banning. All unnecessary.<br>

Jed
09-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Todd, your spelling is atrocious.

Zack
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
A question for you higschoolers, I am a young boy with a tough english teacher, help me with this question please ASAP<br><br>discuss in detail, at leasr 3 methods used by the party to control its citizens<br>

Leo
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I really agree but I think your analysis is poor. We have much more to learn from this novel. This masterpiece is also for the generations to come.

Todd
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I must disagree, 1984 is not boring, I have just read it as part of my English Year 11 course and was mesmorised by the book, the ideas and scope for discussion is emence, its a true piece of literary art. Some people in my class have criticised "The book", being Goldsteins book, but having managed to get through it, I see it's importance in forming a greater understanding of the policies and ideas that Orwell was trying to put across. The ending also, many have said that it shouldn't have been like that, that it should have a happy ending but we must all remember the purpose of this book was to warn us all, Orwell is a Genious in his own right.<br>I hope you all agree!