PDA

View Full Version : Spare me.

Brian
07-06-2002, 01:00 AM
I must agree with you comment about the synopsis. Not having read the book since I was 12 (30 years ago) I must reserve judgment on the content part but, the grammar and style are most inept.<br><br>Please someone send a cogent synopsis to them. They seem eager to accept one. <br>

Jeff
12-19-2002, 02:00 AM
I was wondering if you wanted to e-mail me and we could discuss some more about this book. You have great insight into 1984 and i really enjoyed this book. Like you said before alot of the people responding to these messages are all mixed up but you have everything in order. If you want to discuss more e-mail me. <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>-Jeff-

Unregistered
04-16-2003, 01:00 AM
To start of that is very rude. People have different ways of interpreting books. <br><br>p.s. And it is 'organization' not 'organisation'<br><br>Before you go critizing other people look at your self first.

<b>Admin Response:</b> Actually, in many parts of the world (Britain for instance) it <i>is</i> organisation. You should remember that not everyone speaks American English (even if both you and I do).

Sandra
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I think it is a great idea that people can express themselves and say what they did not appreciate on either the synopsis or on other comments. However, I think that being able to provide constructive criticism is as important as being able to write a good synopsis. It is very upsetting for some people to come here in search of help for a paper and find insulting and bitter comments instead. Please, let's contribute to this site with optimism and good manners and everybody will benefit. You all have a good day.<br><br>P.S. Just in case someone has something to say about my English, I apologize in advance for any mistake I might have made. I am a native from Spain, so English is not my first language.

norma
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
like someone said, everyone has a way of interpreting a book. i actually like the summary i think it is a good one because it pretty much tells you what the book is about. it is obviously very GENERAL but i still think it is good.

Unregistered
07-28-2003, 01:00 AM
Calm down everyone.

One
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I, too, am sometimes disturbed to see the utter disregard for widely accepted rules of grammar evinced by web-site posters. However, we must now accept that those posting messages to web sites, such as this one, cannot be held to standards of formal writing. Please consider that typographical errors are nearly inevitable even for the best typists owing to the TV-screen-based means of composing such communications. Nor should one expect such posters to be experts. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but those posting these types of messages and reviews are not being paid. You seem to expect that those who are sharing their opinions with others should expect to be criticized for their lack of knowledge in the application of accepted rules of grammar, or for the opinions they express, for that matter. In my view, it is rather poor form to criticize the work product of someone who is essentially a volunteer laborer and who is even more clearly providing a free service for YOUR benefit. In other words, Alasdair, if you don't care for what was written, or even how it was written, there are millions of web sites out there; you might even be able to find one where pointless pedantry is highly prized. <br><br>To the Administrator: my compliments on your restraint.<br><br>To Sandra: Never apologize for your use of English. It's a tough language even for those who speak it as their primary one. Besides, your usage is impeccable! Have a wonderful month!<br><br>PS: It is, indeed, an accepted rule of grammar that one almost never begins a sentence with a number expressed in figures (e.g., "Nineteen hundred eighty four persons were present"; not, "1984 persons were present"). One exception, however, is where the number is actually the title of a literary work (e.g., "1984 is one of my favourite books"; not, "Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of my favourite books"). You might want to watch for broken glass on your way out of the house ...<br>

Grammar B****
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I'm impressed, One. That is the most well-written bit of writing I have seen in one of these forums. I often get very frustrated about grammar and spelling on the Internet. I have a tendency to believe it is a symptom of the general apathy of the United States today. We don't care anymore. We're too busy going about our lives, singing popular songs while we hang our laundry out to dry.

Alasdair
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of my favourite books, and I'm sorry, but I just find it laughable how magnificently inept the above synopsis paragraph is - both in terms of its content and grammar. Content first: A) It's 'O'Brien', not 'O'Brian'. B) Winston's encounter with O'Brien takes place inside the Ministry of Truth, not 'while walking home'. C) You've massively overemphasised the importance of the Brotherhood, which barely features until Part II, section VIII - and is essentially tangential in Part III. D) The Ministry of Love is Oceania's law enforcement and secret police organisation, not a 'rehabilitation centre'. And to describe Part III as 'rehabilitation' in any case completely misses the point since E) Winston is not tortured so that his beliefs coincide with that of the Party, he's tortured into accepting that the Party creates and defines reality as it sees fit (pardon the oversimplification). The distinction is important. Somehow you've managed to summarise the book without the slightest hint that this is one of the most important and scathing political satires of the 20th century. And as to grammar... Well, did it occur to anyone that your third sentence states that Big Brother rules over Eastasia and Eurasia as well as Oceania? I think placing this book on line is a wonderful idea - pity the presentation isn't better.<br>PS: On a personal level, I disagree over Quiller's comments on two (and it's only two) of Winston's acquaintances also being gaoled in the Ministry of Love. I don't find this comical, but rather fits in both with what we know and what, under O'Brien's didactic tutelage, we're about to discover of the nature of Oceanic society.
<br>
<b>Our Response:</b>If you wish to write a better summary we'd gladly publish it, until then we can only publish what we're given.