PDA

View Full Version : my paper

Marcus
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Hey guy. I have to do the exact same thing you did, I have to write a paper on animal farm and show what historical figures that the characters in the book symbolize. Thats weird. Just thought i'd say that. Im actually in the class right now.

Sara
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
this is a really great paper, and i am curious what did you get for it??<br>it seems to drag on a bit, but hey, A+ material.

Unregistered
05-29-2004, 01:00 AM
that was a great report

Unregistered
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
This is not a very good essay for a senior. Joseph Stalin was spelled incorrectly.

Unregistered
01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Thank you so much! I had to do this paper where I had to match up the people, places, and things from the Russian Revolution to the characters and events in the story.<br><br>By the way, you're essay is really long- that's good but then again, you're in high school. NEVER THE LESS your essay is really on topic- it's really good.<br><br>Thanks again.

Unregistered
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
i think you are gonna get a sure A+ it is an amazing report<br>

Bertilla
03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
heyy. happen to chance upon here. juz like all the others i have to do the same thing except mine has a 300 word limit. n erm u're essay has given me most of the points. all i gotta do is summarise. danker schön. thanks. <br>Singapore.

Jade
03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
good points inthis paper, but generally written with too much frigidity. I have no doubt that it recieved an excellent grade in a high school though. Just watch yourself next year in college if you are headed there. Papers have got to flow and you'll never get them accepted unless they do. Good Luck

Unregistered
04-09-2005, 05:29 PM
pretty good. you use linking verbs too much especialy is and was...also drags on a bit.. but pretty good.. like B material?

Michael
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this site and remembered that I had a paper here. Thanks for the compliments. <br><br>I don't remember my grade for sure, but I think it was an A. The paper probably is a bit lengthy but that's because I had a page requirement. <br><br>As for the misspelled name- Josif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili also known as Joseph Stalin is sometimes translated to Josif Stalin.

Michael
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey, I'm a senior just finishing my final assignment for high school. What do ya think of my paper?<br><br><br> Symbols play a big role in understanding most short stories and novels. They give us an inside look and a better understanding of what is going on. Reading for entertainment is something that is easy for anyone to do, but when symbols are examined we find something more profound. They show us something deeper and give us something to talk about and think about.<br> In the novel Animal Farm, “Orwell explores the evils of power, money, propaganda and terror to bring us a shocking tale of greed and tyranny” (McCreaddie NP). Using a plethora of symbols, Orwell writes a novel that illustrates the sequence of and demonstrates the concepts of what was going on in Russia under Josif Stalin during the 1900’s.<br> Between 1917 and 1991, Russia was under going a great revolution. During this time two men, Josif Stalin and Leon Trotsky, fought for power and control of the country. Stalin eventually eliminated Trotsky. Stalin believed he was doing what was right for the people through a communist government. However, communism in practice is not as good as in theory. According to The Literature Network, “The system is good, but the individuals are corruptible” (NP). Stalin becomes extremely dictatorial of his new ineffective, inefficient government.<br> Animal Farm takes place on a farm in England owned by a man named Mr. Jones. The animals become fed up with the way humans are treating them, and decide to start a revolt, much like the one going on in Russia. The pigs are considered the most intelligent of the animals so they begin to organize a plan for the future of the farm. After a couple of months of planning the animals finally take action and run Mr. Jones off the farm. Their new idea of government is known as animalism and is much like communism. It goes well for a while, but because absolute power corrupts absolutely, the pigs ultimately gain all power and control all just as man once did.<br> In the beginning Mr. Jones is in control. Jones represents Czar Nicholas II who was in control of Russia before the revolution. Orwell says, “In past years Mr. Jones, although a hard master, had been a capable farmer, but of late he had fallen on evil days” (38). The same happened with the Czar and as we will see, happens over and over again with most men of power. They start out well with good purpose, but soon fall to the pressures of holding power, and give in to corruption. When the leaders decline, the economy tends to follow or vise versa. In the book, the farm was going through hard times and in the real world, this was the time of the depression. It is in times like this that the commoners see an opportunity and have the motive to revolt, which is what happened in Russia.<br> Another symbol is Old Major, “the prize Middle White boar” (25). He was the oldest pig on the farm and because pigs were considered the most intelligent, he was also the wisest of the animals. It is his dream of an earth without man that started the whole revolution idea. He calls a meeting at the beginning of the book to convey all of his thoughts. At the meeting, Old Major gives a speech in which he blames all problems on man saying, “All men are enemies” (31). Old Major’s real life counterpart is Karl Marx, the father of modern communism. Karl’s idea of communism is that it is "A theory which advocates a state of society in which there should be no private ownership, all property being invested in the community and labor organized for the common benefit of all members" (Oxford English Dictionary NP). Both Marx and Old Major want only what is best for the common people but neither live to experience their plan fully in action, they never see the problems.<br> After Old Major dies, Napoleon takes the role of the head pig. Napoleon is modeled after Josif Stalin. Both are good leaders at first but then comes corruption. Maros Kollar puts it well when he says, “although Napoleon seems at first to be a good leader, he is eventually overcome by greed and soon becomes power-hungry. Of course Stalin did too in Russia” (NP). In the beginning Napoleon and the other pigs are merely overseers to keep everything moving smoothly. They come up with seven commandments to insure equality; the seventh reads, “All animals are equal” (43). Throughout the story, pigs and specifically Napoleon start to move forward as dictators. In the end Napoleon has total control, he even change the commandments. There is now only one which reads, “All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others” (133). In Russia, Stalin also takes complete control and becomes a “cruel dictator” (Kollar NP).<br> Snowball is the other main pig in Animal Farm, and he represents Leo Trotsky. Snowball is very much like Napoleon, but the two don’t get along and never agree on anything. These two pigs fight throughout the book for the position of leadership. Eventually, after Snowball suggests building a windmill for electricity, Napoleon has him thrown out of the farm. After getting rid of Snowball, Napoleon manipulates the minds of the other animals. Napoleon blames everything that goes wrong on the farm on Snowball:<br>He came creeping in under cover of darkness and performed all kinds of mischief. He stole the corn, he upset the milk-pails, he broke the eggs, he trampled the seedbeds, he gnawed the bark off the fruit trees. Whenever anything went wrong it became usual to attribute it to Snowball. If a window was broken or a drain was blocked up, someone was certain to say that Snowball had come in the night and done it, and when the key of the store-shed was lost, the whole farm was convinced that Snowball had thrown it down the well (88).<br>Now that Snowball is established as an enemy, Napoleon promises a reward for his death, saying, “half a bushel of apples to any animal who brings him to justice” (82). Trotsky and Stalin were in the same situation in Russia, both fighting for control. Then in 1929 Stalin deports Trotsky to Mexico. Stalin always feared that Trotsky’s supporters would organize an attack on Stalin’s life, so instead of living in fear Stalin decided to act first and organized Trotsky’s murder in 1940.<br> Wherever Napoleon goes, he has a team of dogs beside him. These dogs represent Stalin’s bodyguards. Their only job is to obey. The dogs appear for the first time when they attack Snowball and chase him off of the farm. They were at a meeting when Napoleon “uttered a high-pitched whimper” and “nine enormous dogs… came bounding into the barn. They dashed straight for Snowball… in a moment he was out of the door and they were after him” (67). In the same way, Stalin’s crew is known only after they murder Trotsky. Now that the enemy is out of the way, the only thing for the guards to do is eliminate those who are disloyal. Four pigs were the first to go, “they had been secretly in touch with Snowball… when they had finished their confession, the dogs promptly tore their throats out” (93). Then three hens were killed, then a goose, and a sheep, then two more sheep, “and executions went on, until there was a pile of corpses lying before Napoleon’s feet” (93). Stalin’s purges were just like this; in 1936 hundreds were sentenced to death after being forced to confess to political crimes that they had not committed.<br> One of the most insignificant characters in Animal Farm is also one of the most interesting symbols. Moses is a tame raven that is rarely mentioned; he represents religion. When Old Major is giving his speech in the first chapter, all animals were “present except Moses… who slept on a perch behind the back door” (27). According to Anna Hassari, this “satirizes the Church being caught asleep by communism” (NP). Another area in which Moses resembles the church is the idea of Sugarcandy Mountain. He is always talking about this great place that animals go after death:<br>He claimed to know of the existence of a mysterious country called Sugarcandy Mountain, to which all animals went when they died. It was situated somewhere up in the sky, a little distance beyond the clouds, Moses said. In Sugarcandy Mountain it was Sunday seven days a week, clover was in season all the year round, and lump sugar and linseed cake grew on the hedges (37).<br>Sugarcandy Mountain is obviously Orwell’s idea of heaven.<br> As the story goes along, and as history goes along, we can see a cycle. This cycle is shown in both Animalism and Communism as the commoners overtake the government, then an individual slowly moves back into that dictator position. Mr. Jones starts as a good master then becomes a bad one until the animals take over and Napoleon slowly becomes a bad master, while the Czar is overtaken after becoming corrupt and Stalin slowly becomes corrupt as well. Now Russia is again controlled by the people and it is likely that history will once again repeat itself.<br> All of these characters have strong connections to people and things that actually existed during the Russian revolution. Because of this, a “true appreciation of the book does come with an understanding of the Russian revolution, but those without can still interpret its message” (McCreaddie NP). Orwell does an excellent job of clearly illustrating these symbols, so it is easy to see what he is suggesting.<br>