PDA

View Full Version : Question on Serial Novel

nuberu
05-12-2003, 08:48 PM
I need to find out what the features of the serial novel are ... anyone can help ? Thanks in advance .... ;)

Blackadder
05-12-2003, 11:25 PM
From what I understand, a serial novel is just like a regular novel--except its published in parts, usually in a magazine or journal or something. They were very popular in the eighteenth and nineteenth century. One of the most famous was Samuel Richardson's Pamela.

[/i]

Arteum
05-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Or Laurence Sterne's "Tristram Shandy" which was published during a span of eight years and totalled nine volumes. By the way, is Richardson's "Clarissa" also serial? I read that it is the longest novel in the English language and I cannot assume he published it all at once :)

nuberu
05-13-2003, 04:11 PM
I had the same idea about serial novel, I just wanted to confirm it ... so thanks to both of you. Claudia

Blackadder
05-14-2003, 12:02 AM
I think you're right about Clarissa. Actually, I think all of Richardson's were serials. I have seen a full version of Clarissa and I am sooo glad that it was never assigned reading. Not just because of the size, but because of the simple and overbearing morality of it. Tcha.