Though mercury reached minus five,
at last, I made it home alive.

kiz_paws
03-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Ha ha, loved it!
And glad you made it home alive, lol!

AuntShecky
03-03-2018, 07:03 PM
I was thinking of you and your fellow Brits during your cold snap, but sorry to say the sympathy slid to the back burner with our "Snowbombogenesis" yesterday. A nearby town got over a meter or -- 39 inches of snow. Well, I hope you're back in your warm and cozy abode by now.

Click on this NitLet thread (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?88123-A-Pantoum-and-Four-Parodies) and scroll down to the penultimate item about municipal snow removal.

Hawkman
03-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Hi Auntie, here's one of the ploughs they sent in... True, what snow there was, around my neck of the woods, was almost entirely confined to the roads, and not deep - the fields were merely dusted, but the roads were like sheets of ice. There are far too many hills on my route, every time I was forced to stop, it became almost impossible to get going again. Almost. Didn't do my car any good. Fortunately, here in the southwest, it didn't linger. Back to the usual rain now. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and leaving a note.

Hi kiz_paws, glad you loved it, and thank you for being glad I made it home alive... It was a damned, close-run thing, I can tell you! :D.

Live and be well - H

MANICHAEAN
03-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Hi Hawkman

So glad "The Beast From The East" has gone. Here in Hertfordshire it was not too bad, and anyway I still had my state of the art Canadian thermals from my time in Alberta. Another relief is that the news in Blighty is no longer 99% weather related. We can now get back to: bloody Brexit, the Trump soap, sexual harassment and the NHS.

Loved the ditty.

Take care
M.

Dreamwoven
03-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Well, we had 5 feet of snow altogether. Its all still there, and Kerstin cleared the snow from the outside of the house along its eastern edge. From my vantage point all I could see was the shovel going down and up...

Hawkman
03-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Hi Man, thanks for stopping by to cast an eye upon my verse. Good of you to say hello and tell me of your Canadian undergarments. Glad to hear you were prepared for winter winds, even if you didn't get them. Sadly, these days, all the news is bad. People dying on the streets, and the relentless race to baseness by our fascist government. Had they but a single neck, I'd hack it through! Got straff all Nazis. Thanks for reading and enjoying my dit.

Dreamwoven, my little corner of this sceptred isle didn't get your kind of weather, but other bits did. Even so, you manage to present an amusing picture of your arctic weather. We're never prepared for it over here, but then, we only get it somewhere every year. You'd think we'd learn, really. But Mother Nature laughs at our pathetic preparations and loves to show who's boss! Anyway, thanks for stopping by :)

Now, back to Ray Harryhousen and the wrath of the gods...

Live and be well - H

Dreamwoven
03-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Yes, well, it is one of those years that we could do without here. But we get it anyway! :)

Jerrybaldy
03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
You ain’t fooling me Mr Hawk. Despite your journey you were loving it as we all were. Here snow makes an ordinary day extraordinary. What’s not to love ? Always good to read you my friend

Dreamwoven
03-09-2018, 09:49 AM
Well, Auntie, you call it snowbombogenesis. Here we call it "snökanon (snow cannon) and this winter we had several days of this type of onslaught. A real wolf-winter (varg-vinter). Deep snow and constantly below freezing. It started in early March with Siberian weather howling in from the north. And it is still below freezing, with over 5 feet of snow on the ground. Most nights a new lot of snow is dropped on us, about a further inch each time. That's a lot of snow!

Sadly the snow is not cleared away properly. We have mounds of cleared snow 6 or 7 feet high along the road side. Makes walking along the road difficult, to say the least.

Hawkman
03-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Hi JB. Sadly, I have lost the childish ability to delight in snow. Now I just feel the cold. The threat of poverty drives me to attend a job I hate for fear of being unemployed and persecuted to death by a society corrupted by systemic evil. I did not enjoy the possibility of being stranded miles from home because of impassable roads. Every day I read about people who have died sleeping rough. I read of people turned away by corporate hotel chains, homeless people who, on one of the coldest nights of the year, had been gifted accommodation, paid for, but denied. The world is so corrupted, so selfish, so divided by Nietzschean fascistic social remodelling and de education that I spit upon the politicians who have wilfully and maliciously created it. We live in a world run by criminals. God rot them all.

Still, I'm glad you enjoyed my tongue in cheek ditty. Live long and prosper. H

Jerrybaldy
03-15-2018, 07:21 PM
You worry too much Mr Hawk. And that’s something coming from me.

Hawkman
03-16-2018, 01:43 PM
I would personally operate the guillotine in Trafalgar Square. Let the tumbrels roll!