View Full Version : No Subject

Elizabeth
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
It is a very good book with interesting thoughts. However, it is intensely hard to read because of the language; Defoe uses run-along sentences which last for over half a page, spelling errors which aren't even consistent, and bad grammar. This makes it hard to understand in some places.<br>Also, he spends too long a time describing all that Crusoe made, how he made it, what he used, where he got the tools and "building-blocks", etc.<br>Despite this, there are certain sections of the book that I recommend. Defoe's thoughts on religion are quite fascinating, and the adventures are well-thought out. All I wish to say to those who have not read it: Don't expect to read this in one day.

Orpheus
06-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I disagree with nearly everything that you wrote. I found the writing to be easily discernable with a simple elegance, despite the mispelled words. You must remember, however, that this was meant to be read as from the perspective of Crusoe's diary. If you have ever kept anything of the sort, I'm sure you would simpathize with a few spelling errors. I actually found them to be rather fun, so inconsistent as they are.

The descriptions of his goings-on I found not to be tedious in the least but creative and captivating. And as for his thoughts on religion, they are no more than the views of a literalist Catholic, hardly fascinating; ignorant and self-centered perhaps; but fascinating? I know of a great many myths more interesting than those so widely accepted as truth by people in our time.