PDA

View Full Version : BORING>!!!

undisclosed
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
i thought a classic novel was supposed to appeal to all ages! i do not reccomend this novel to anyone under the age of 18 imean it was quite advanced an jumped around alot! mature subject warning!

Shibbywhoha
06-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Pardon me, but I loved the book when I read it at 15 years of age.

mono
06-11-2005, 03:15 AM
I partially agree that Wuthering Heights did contain some material that may not quite appeal to younger ages, especially plots compared to Emily Brontė's sisters, Charlotte and Anne.
Regardless, I found the novel a true masterpiece - a work of art that far surpasses any expectations a reader could hold, but remain aware of others' perceptions of the brilliancy I perceive.

Rachy
06-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I love this book and I'm sixteen!

Sarah's_Chanson
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm fourteen and not only have read and loved it, but I'm studying it at GCSE level very soon.

The understand and enjoyment of any piece of literature isn't based on age, but personality and their outlook. I'm fourteen and love to read classics such as this, Tess of d'Urbervilles and Jane Eyre. My cousin is twenty-eight and probably has never heard of anything other than Heat Magazine.

Does that mean that she would enjoy Wuthering Heights more than me? That she would understand it?

Maturity levels vary. A ten year old can be more sensible, intelligent and apprecitative than a thirty year old.

Scheherazade
08-10-2005, 01:57 PM
It is true that maturity levels vary. However, as we age, we gain experience in life, which, sometimes, helps us appreciate some aspects in certain books better. When I was younger, I loved reading and read almost anything I could get my hands on. Now that I am older (with a heavy emphasis on 'old' ;)), I find myself re-reading most of those books I was in a hurry to read and enjoy/appreciate them better.

This does not mean younger readers cannot enjoy books but they might appreciate them better when they are older. The same thing goes for books for younger readers; even though they are good books, I cannot enjoy, say, Jacquiline Wilson's books like a teenage girl would because I would not be able to relate the subjects of her books.

Sarah's_Chanson
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
I don't think anyone can entirely relate the Wuthering Heights in the 21st century! But I never liked or related to Jaqueline Wilson's books, although they were about characters the same age as me. However based on my own personality I can relate to a certain extent to Heathcliff, Catherine Earnshaw and Hareton, whereas Tracy Beaker was my complete opposite.

we_rum
09-04-2005, 03:11 PM
And who told you a classic novel was supposed to appeal to all ages? Did you think about that statement or repeat it as gospel from whatever snaggletoothed armchair scholar told it to you? I've never heard anyone ever say the classics are for everyone.

we_rum
09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
"I don't think anyone can entirely relate the Wuthering Heights in the 21st century!"

Rubbish. Decorations and trivialities change with the times. Love, passions and emotion do not.

13blackroses
10-26-2005, 05:04 AM
"Rubbish. Decorations and trivialities change with the times. Love, passions and emotion do not."
I completely agree, I think the themes in Wuthering Heights could be applied to anyone, regardless of century and would like to add that I am 15 and it's one of my favourite books.

sdr4jc
02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
I second that.

To bash this book is to prove to everyone else that you lack sufficient understanding of a literary masterpiece. That's okay, you'll come around.

Eva Marina
02-19-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=160855#post160855

The link above will take you to a A Tale of Two Cities thread where I posted something that is probably similar to what I'm going to say here.

It is true that maturity levels vary. However, as we age, we gain experience in life, which, sometimes, helps us appreciate some aspects in certain books better. When I was younger, I loved reading and read almost anything I could get my hands on. Now that I am older (with a heavy emphasis on 'old' ), I find myself re-reading most of those books I was in a hurry to read and enjoy/appreciate them better.

I agree with you entirely. With experience comes a new outlook and new insight into things that we may have missed, such as in books. How many times have any of you watched a movie or read a book and then later found new things that you might have missed the first time? That may not be maturity levels reaching new points but may merely be human error, but all the same. If one reads a book about someone who goes through some tramatic event but blows the character off as being whiny or some such and then goes through the same--or even just a similar--event, wouldn't the person have a new outlook on what the character in the book was going through?

Charles Darnay
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I agree with the general opinion of the thread in that love of classics cannot be defined by age and is not for everyone.
I started reading classics when i was 13? (I think that's right....) At any rate, I also agree that with age comes more understanding of finer aspects of classics. Wuthering Hieghts was an enjoyable book - I wouldn't put it in my favourites, but that's me. But I read it late enough in my high shcool career that even though I didn't think the story was all that great, i was able to apprecaiate the materful writing styles that the Brotne's are known for (granted I haven't read anything by Anne).

I read Moby-Dick when I was young - big mistake. Books like that, those dense poetic novels, should be read after some expereince with the wonderful world of Englsih.

earthchild
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I read Wuthering Heights when I was thirteen or fourteen and it became one of my most favourite books...

wolfester
05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
i think this book is boring too. it is kinda pointless too, in it's swirling vortex of being negative. i thought all the characters were all talk and no action. they were all to depressed for pathetic reasons. :banana: silly banana.

chatnoir1311
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, I read Wuthering Heights at the age of 12 or 13 and I must agree that it's a rather depressiv book but I also think that a lot of the younger people wouldn't understand it , so there is no reason for them not to read it.