PDA

View Full Version : My independent study?

Acrylic
05-07-2003, 05:41 AM
I am an English Literature student, and need to start thinking about my Independent study later in the year, which counts for a big part of my overall grade.

I am fairly new to the whole concept of 'good' literature, and have not read many books of the type I am expected to do... Classics.

I really liked Tess of the d'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure; can anyone suggest any authors besides Thomas Hardy who I might like???

Sorry, I know this is a relatively *dumb* question, but I've really no idea at all.

Thanking in advance!

:D :o :rolleyes: :P :D

Shea
05-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is one of my favorites. I also liked Emma and Pride and Prejudice be Jane Austen. :)

Arteum
05-07-2003, 11:35 AM
I recommend starting off with early British literature. Here's the plan that I took:

1. The stories of Mrs Behn (the first woman novelist), the most well-known of which is "Oroonoko, or The Royal Slave" (1688)
2. Samuel Richardson, "Pamela" (2 Vols.) (1740) This was the most popular English novel of the 18th century. You will find it pretty outdated and intolerable in certain places, but it's absolutely necessary if you want to understand Fielding and his followers.
3. Henry Fielding, "The History of The Adventures of Joseph Andrews and His Friend Mr Abraham Adams", also the short "Shamela" and his monumental work "Tom Jones".
4. Lawrence Sterne (the most unimitable Irish/British author who played a tremendous role in early British literature), "The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman" and "Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy".

Maybe you will also want to work in Daniel Defoe and Tobias Smollett.

Then move on to the Gothic romance - such as Ann Radcliffe who was considered the queen of terror at her heyday (for example, "The Italian") and Matthew Lewis with his "The Monk".

And only then should you logically pass on to Jane Austen (as Shea noted). Don't forget Sir Scott afterwards ...

But if you don't wish to start from the very beginning, "Vanity Fair" by W.M. Thackeray and "Great Expectations" by C. Dickens are the two best novels from the Victorian era that I may suggest.

Of the early 20th century, I again strongly recommend W.S. Maugham (his short stories and novels).

If you want to read something more-or-less modern, but yet very profound and already classical, you won't find anyone better than John Fowles (start with "The Collector" and work your way up to "The Magus", "A Maggot", "French Liutenant's Woman", "Daniel Martin", and, finally, "The Aristos"). But to read Fowles you will have to have some knowledge in the history of literature and painting. Also, the knowledge of W. Shakespeare's plays is desirable.

waxmephilosophical
05-07-2003, 05:47 PM
I actually depends on what your independent study involves. My AP English class just finished what we call Senior Presentations. Everybody in the class picks a classic, reads critical studies on it, etc. Eventually, we teach our book/play to the class for an entire period. Some excellent ones are Lolita (Author?), Inferno (Dante), Emma, and A Brave New World. I did 1984...I ended up doing really well :D , but it took a lot of work to summarize this book and present it in a way that my classmates could understand it. Which is why I ask what your assignment entails, because you don't want to get in over your head like I almost did.

waxmephilosophical
05-07-2003, 05:49 PM
oh, also A Clockwork Orange...lots of symbolism and color symbolism and themes to talk about.

Koa
05-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Lolita is by Vladimir Nabokov, Russian writing in English becuase living in the USA (at least i believe thsi one was written in english, as he was a bilingual writer and translated his own works). Though, if i can give an opinion, it's soooo sloooooow.

And i don't think he can read Dante for and English literature thing...